[Solved] Problem with pyxdg in 32-bit

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Papasot

[Solved] Problem with pyxdg in 32-bit

Post by Papasot »

There seems to be a small problem with the package pyxdg in Slackel 32-bit. Specifically, the system seems to try to downgrade it from version 0.27 to version 0.25 (and it can't, because of unmet dependency named just "python", which is nowhere to be found). In Slackel 64-bit there is no such a problem, and that's because there is no version 0.25 there (there is, however py3xdg-0.25, which does not trigger a downgrade).
The problem is very fresh, I did system upgrades in both 32- and 64-bit Slackel installations very recently (3 days ago), and didn't have that problem. I also had a look in Slackware-Current change logs and pyxdg is not mentioned there for quite a long time.
Unless I'm terribly mistaken, that pyxdg-0.25 package found in 32-bit repositories is a relic that probably should be removed?
Last edited by Papasot on 12 May 2023 14:13, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Problem with pyxdg in 32-bit

Post by djemos »

I had a problem with a laptop with the jack power i think is dead and i downloaded the repos of sourceforge to be able to update the repos with new packages i add in the future, running the slackel from a usb stick where i have installed both versions 32 and 64 bit (real installation). On sourceforge repos i had forgot to delete the pyxdg-0.25 package in 32 bit repo. Having a real installation of slackel 32 and 64 bit and also salix-15.0 32 and 64 bit to two usb stricks always with me to boot everywhere and update the system is really fantastic, very useful. System run as to have installed in internal ssd disk.
The persistent file is slow and it does not worth.
To check do
sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get --upgrade
Thanks.
Papasot

Re: [Solved] Problem with pyxdg in 32-bit

Post by Papasot »

Solved, thank you Dimitri.
As for usb sticks, they are certainly useful, but as you said persistent file is slow (especially after some time using it). What I did was to buy a cheap external SSD disk (which is pretty small, mine is about 9 x 4 x 0.5 cm) and installed everything there as well, using them as normally installed Slackels. It's not as fast as an internal SSD because of the USB bottleneck, but it performs really well, and orders of magnitude faster than a USB stick with persistent file. It's basically as fast as a real installation on an internal HDD, if not faster, and everything you save/delete/update is there next time you boot.