Openbox change wallpaper

dadim

Openbox change wallpaper

Post by dadim »

Hello,

I've installed the 7.4 openbox version on an old hp pavilion pm1 netbook and runs smoothly, much faster than the previous linux lite installation! :D

To change the wallpaper from the cute gendai, should I uncomment and modify the autostart.sh spacefm --set-wallpaper line, or there is a more resource optimal alternative?

Thanks
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Openbox change wallpaper

Post by djemos »

The line #([ -x /usr/bin/spacefm ] && spacefm --set-wallpaper=/usr/share/wallpapers/slackel.png) & in autostart.sh is commented with # character and is not executed. It is for spacefm file manager. So comment it again.

To change wallpaper from menu -> "Settings" -> "Desktop preferences" can change your wallpaper.
You can also copy your wallpaper image in /usr/share/wallpapers folder where all wallpapers for slackel exist.
Can run Desktop preferences utility also from an lxterminal typing pcmanfm --desktop-pref
dadim

Post by dadim »

Thanks a lot, it was so obvious! I didn't notice the Settings\Desktop preferences in the main menu, so I tried the context (right click) desktop's menu (Settings\Openbox Config\Edit autostart.sh). I had even chosen to install the spacefm file manager, but your suggestion is more intuitive and simpler.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

There is also there: (right click) desktop menu -> All apps -> Preferences -> Desktop Preferences
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

Hi dadim, and welcome to Slackel. A common way to change a wallpaper permanently (when setting up Openbox from scratch) is to use nitrogen. However there is no need to do that on Slackel, since the default file manager, pcmanfm, can also take care of it. By default, your ./config/openbox/autostart.sh should contain a (not commented) line:

Code: Select all

([ -x /usr/bin/pcmanfm ] && dbus-launch pcmanfm --desktop) &
which does loads the wallpaper every time you start Openbox. So you set the wallpaper once (via menu Settings, as djemos suggested) and you are done.
Also, don't be surprised with Slackel running smoothly in an old netbook (which would be useless otherwise). One of my Slackel installations is in an old netbook as well, and it works just fine. Slackel is lightweight without sacrificing functionality.