[SOLVED] wicd stopped working

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Papasot

[SOLVED] wicd stopped working

Post by Papasot »

Since 21 July, wicd stopped working:

Code: Select all

pap[~]$ wicd
Traceback (most recent all last):
  File "/usr/share/wicd/daemon/wicd-daemon.py", line 48, in <module>
    import dbus
ImportError: No module named dbus
Now, my educated guess is that dbus-python was upgraded on 21 July, and the new version is not compatible with wicd. Hopefully rebuilding wicd with the new version of dbus-python will solve the problem. I would do that already, but I don't want to mess up with djemos' SLKBUILD without his permission. At the moment, I switched to connman, which works perfectly.
In fact, half of my Slackel installations use connman permanently, and I didn't upgrade the others until today, that's why I am posting this problem two days later.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: wicd stopped working

Post by djemos »

Last days i used networkmanager because of wicd problems connecting to some wifi networks. So i did not noticed wicd could not run because of dbus-python.
Rebuilding wicd package do not solve the problem. Because wicd is deprecated since 2016 i removed it from my system along with urwid.
I will remove it also from slackel repositories. Connman is working fine.
I use networkmanager which is also working fine plus it is a native slackware current package.

Thank you for the report.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

The wicd project doesn't seem active indeed. Last release was at 2016, but that alone doesn't make it deprecated. However, I see unanswered bug reports in wicd's website too. The project seems to be dormant at best. I used Wicd for more than 10 years, even before I migrated to Slackel and Salix. It worked flawlessly with wifi usb sticks (while NetworkManager was a mess and didn't work with any of those sticks that had the most common chipset inside). I don't know if NetworkManager is any better today, and honestly, I'd rather avoid it after the really bad experience I had with it in the past. Not to mention it is made at RedHat, and I don't trust them at all.

I switched to ConnMan which I have been using already in some Slackel systems. Zero issues after about one year, plus it's very lightweight, so I'll stick to it. My only "complaint" is that connman-gtk doesn't show signal strength (link quality). Not a big deal anyway. I rarely need that information, and even when I do, I'd rather type iwconfig in a terminal than having an applet always monitoring iwconfig for the rare case I need it.

Thank you for the update, Dimitri.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I downgrade dbus-python to 1.2.16 and upload wicd and urwid packages.
So wicd is working now.