Memories - fosscomm - Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense.
djemos
Site Admin

Memories - fosscomm - Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting

Post by djemos »

What is Fosscomm - Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting.

FOSSCOMM is an annual conference that aims to get to know the communities, associations and research and development teams involved in Free Software both in our country and internationally, to highlight the usefulness and necessity of its use. Free Software and Open Source Software, as well as to highlight new trends in it and attract new members to the communities, with the aim of contributing more and more free code to all.

EL/LAC communities and young developers from academia participate, and more than 1000 delegates attend each year. The technological developments in the field are presented, innovative ideas, collection of proposals for the promotion and promotion of Free Software / Open Source Software and acquisition of knowledge through presentations and workshops.

It is addressed to all those who are interested in Free Software / Open Source Software, regardless of their level of knowledge in the use of software and computers.

13 older FOSSCOMMs have been held, starting from Athens (2008 at NTUA), until last year at the University of Western Macedonia (2020.fosscomm.gr). Participation in FOSSCOMM is free and all running costs are covered by donations and sponsorships. The event is organized exclusively by volunteers.

FOSSCOMM 2021 will be held online November 13-14, 2021 by the University of Macedonia.

It was arround December near Christmas holidays of 2007 when Costas Tsakaloglou, member of Hellug Hellenic Linux User Group, called me about an idea he had. So after holidays in January 2008 he visited me in Agrinio and it was the first time i saw his face. I knew him as a member of hellug but i have never meet him in person.
He told me we could organize a Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting. Another member of hellug Yiannis Belias joined us and the first team members of fosscomm group was born.

Me with the help of Vasilis Tzoumakas as slackel, made the webpage using xoops. The Logo was made by Vasilis Tzoumakas a friend of mine here in Agrinio having a cd with a keyhole, no key, meaning the open source and a bird flying in the blue sky meaning the freedom and free source. The cd is the way to install a distribution.

Photos from 1st fosscomm slackel presentation1 slackel presentation2
other photos from 1st Fosscomm
Open invitation and program of 1st fosscomm
An article in linuxinsider.gr for the first day.

Presentation of Greek Slackel Distribution by Dimitris Tzemos, Vasilis Tzoumakas on 1st fosscomm

The message in Greek after first fosscomm and what would hope to happend next. A quick google translation in English.

Code: Select all

The Fosscomm team
October 1, 2009 admin no comments

Like everything new, Fosscomm went through its first days
"children's illnesses". The facts gave food for thought and
meditation. Fosscomm, is an participating event
Free / Open Source communities. In all projects
Free / Open Source, there is a team that coordinates and
sets the goals of each project. Because Fosscomm should
does it work differently? Apparently there is no reason to
works differently.

With this in mind the original team members who started the
Fosscomm (Yiannis Belias, Dimitris Tzemos and Costas Tsakaloglou),
make up the first three members of the Fosscomm team. to exist
renewal and "new blood and spirit", the team will be enriched with
main organizer of every next Fosscomm, so we already have him with us
George Portokaloglou, who "took over", the Fosscomm 2009 that
took place in Larissa. In order not to make the team big with the years, in
at this stage, it was decided that the number that makes it up should not be
greater than five. So every year a new member will be added
in the group, and one of the old members will leave to exist
constant renewal.

The Fosscomm team will be collecting nominations for
the next Fosscomm and will decide which community
will take it. will set goals and visions as well as collect
proposals of people from the communities, who want to express their opinion
for the improvement or future course of Fosscomm.

With price,
The Fosscomm team 
Papasot

Re: Memories - fosscomm - Free and Open Source Software Communities Meeting

Post by Papasot »

Nice to see how it all started. Thank you for sharing, Dimitri.
I will definitely attend FOSSCOMM 2021.
P.S.: I like the old "snail shell" logo, but I am used to the "sigma" logo anyway.