[Solved] Turn off screen blanking

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
djemos
Site Admin

[Solved] Turn off screen blanking

Post by djemos »

Papasot wrote: ........ However, the computer goes to suspend mode by itself, a few seconds after I login. I have to press the power button to bring it back, but it goes to suspend mode again every few seconds. It's very annoying, and makes the system still practically unusable.
Papasot about this problem you had faced. Last week i watched a movie. I see that laptop screen was getting black after 10 minutes. I had xcreensaver disabled. It was getting very annoying, i had to move the mouse every 10 minutes so screen appeared again.
This never happened before in my laptop which i use for everyday use.
I finally found the solution
I added in the ~/,profile file

Code: Select all

# Turn off screen blanking
xset s off && xset -dpms
and problem gone.
Try it if this was the problem also in your case with the suspend.
Papasot

Re: [Solved] Turn off screen blanking

Post by Papasot »

I tried it. I had to create a ~/.profile because it doesn't exist (not only in that 32-bit installation, but in all my Slackels there is no ~./profile). It does indeed prevent screen blanking after some minutes without user activity, but does not stop elogind from constantly suspending the computer every few seconds. This was expected because elogind suspends the computer even before I login. So I had to modify /etc/elogind/logind.conf again. Not a big deal because I almost never need suspending/hilbernation.This particular Netbook stays on all day till I go to sleep.
Still, the xset trick is indeed useful when watching movies.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

For users might have this problem with elogind and suspend. Did you put these to /etc/elogind/logind.conf to stop suspended after few secs ?

HandleSuspendKey=ignore
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Try setting both and then try setting just one of them to figure out which one it is causing the problem or both needed.
Maybe it is just HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:For users might have this problem with elogind and suspend. Did you put these to /etc/elogind/logind.conf to stop suspended after few secs ?

HandleSuspendKey=ignore
HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Try setting both and then try setting just one of them to figure out which one it is causing the problem or both needed.
Maybe it is just HandleLidSwitch=ignore
Sadly, this doesn't work either. The only way to stop elogind from suspending the system seems to be setting AllowSuspend=no, as you suggested here. Only my 32-bit system needs this. I have two 64-bit installations which don't need any change in the original /etc/elogind/logind.conf.