[Done] Transition from aaa_elflibs to aaa_libraries.

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Slackel, here's the place to post them.
Papasot

[Done] Transition from aaa_elflibs to aaa_libraries.

Post by Papasot »

This is not strictly a problem but could be in the future, and probably needs Dimitri's attention (which I am guessing it already has, but I post this just in case).
Since today (8 February), Slackware-Current renamed aaa_elflibs to aaa_libraries. The reason for such a rename is related to aaa_glibc-solibs, which is not part of Slackel anyway, so the change is basically pointless for us. Nevertheless, it can potentially be a problem in the future.
Currently, normal system upgrade keeps aaa_elflibs installed and aaa_libraries uninstalled. Attempting to manually install aaa_libraries is ok, but trying to uninstall aaa_elflibs is not, because that would also uninstall a ton of packages. This is clearly because of dependency resolution, which still refers to aaa_elflibs. So I guess all *,dep files must be changed. Now, I am not an expert, but I am guessing a simple

Code: Select all

sed -i 's/aaa_elflibs/aaa_libraries/g' *.dep
followed by regenerating packages lists should suffice, but of course I am not sure. At any rate, Slackel users don't have to do anything, for now. Normal system update will work as it is.
Last edited by Papasot on 08 Feb 2021 22:23, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Transition from aaa_elflibs to aaa_libraries.

Post by djemos »

I have update the dep files. And i have also create a con file so when user update the system the aaa_libraries will installed since is a dep in many packages and aaa_elflibs will uninstalled.
Otherwise user can run sudo spkg -d aaa_elflibs after upgrade to manually remove aaa_elflibs. Remember never uninstall a package from gslapt gui because will uninstall all dep files also. Always uninstall a package from command line using spkg or removepkg.
Thanks.
Papasot

Re: [Done] Transition from aaa_elflibs to aaa_libraries.

Post by Papasot »

I don't really use Gslapt. I used it in this case just to verify that aaa_elflibs was still a dependency (and it was, but not anymore). I had no intention to remove aaa_elflibs via Gslapt, just to check what if I did. Alternatively I could look at packages list file to see if aaa_elflibs is a dependency.

The *.dep files were indeed updated, and aaa_elflibs is history in Slackel too now. I did update my other Slackel systems too, and that removed aaa_elflibs, plus it installed aaa_libraries.