elogind needed since 7 December 2020

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: elogind needed since 7 December 2020

Post by djemos »

Copy this http://slackel.gr/isos/initrd-usb/initrd.gz file to boot folder on usb where you installed slackel. And then boot with it. It has to boot for sure. If it is not something else happened. This was the previous method a working initrd to copied at installation time.

Then can you make a full installation in case something missing in basic installation. Maybe a library existed in full packages installation ? Or i have to do a basic installation to check it.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

EDIT:: The file initrd.gz was already in USB's /boot folder, although with slightly different size than the one you provided. I copied the new one to the /boot folder anyway. After that, trying to boot from USB I get this:

Code: Select all

[    0.347075] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating named object [\_SB.PCIO._OSC.CAPB], AE_ALREADY EXISTS (20160816/dsfield-182)
 [  27.773936] Starting init: /sbin/init exists but couldn't execute it (error -8)
This looks very intimidating. I get a kernel panic after that and the system stops responding completely.

Doing a full installation on a different USB now (just in case). It will take time though. I will update when it's finished.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

This ready initrd even it has the same name with the original is used to boot from usb. Did you try to boot to a another laptop you have and not the one with the kernel update problem? I have checked this a lot of times and installation working. You can see what is going on in the background when run sli from lxterminal.
sudo sli
Then can see what installer does. When run sli after update it and run gparted from sli be sure that usb linux partition is umounted because pcmanfm will mounted when you plug it in.
I will check it i will do now a 64bit gpt installation in basic mode and report back. I do not made a 32 bit installation from 32 bit slackel live usb. I used the 64bit version.

Edit: My fault. This ready to be used initrd told you to copy is for 64bit slackware to boot. Sorry.
But it is not needed because initrd is created at installation time now.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

Full installation of Slackel 32-bit on USB didn't change anything. I get the same errors as before. Also, during installation I checked if target USB was mounted (it was), and make sure I unmounted it. I will try the 64-bit version as soon as possible.

Surprisingly, it took about 30 minutes for full installation on a TDK USB stick, which is less than one quarter of the time needed for Basic installation on a Kingston USB. Unfortunately, I do not have a SSD disk to try installing it there.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I am writing this message from slackel 64 bit basic installation i done before. I pressed install live to disk at 22:49 and at 23:20 installation finished. Then i shutdown unpluged both usb and plug in the one slackel installed and turn on laptop. Press fn+f12 and boot with usb.
Evertything went fine. I set up wirelles with wicd connected to internet and run firefox and i am here.
Libreoffice and thunderbird not installed. It is a basic installation.
Tomorrow i will prepare a 32bit live slackel usb and make the installation of 32bit slackel to the external usb. I have also checked the core installation in the past of 64bit slackel and worked. And now the basic and worked also.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

I tried installing the 64-bit version in a USB, and it worked flawlessly. I am quite impressed with the performance. It takes a little longer to boot (which I understand why), but nothing really important. Once booted, I did not notice any problems or slowdowns.
Last time I tried something similar was one year ago (or maybe more), and the system was very slow at shutdown, while saving the changes in a persistent file. This problem is gone. Now it works so well that, if I didn't know, I would think it's a hard disk installation. I did all the changes I usually do, installed my own libraries, etc. I even upgraded the kernel. Everything worked just fine. I now have a very portable Slackel 64 installation. Even though I always have a laptop with Slackel installed on hard disk when not at home, I can think of many uses such a USB installation can be very useful tool. Great work, Dimitri!

Unfortunately, I was unable to install Slackel 32-bit in a USB (which I need to check if latest kernel works well on my netbook's GPU) . I tried installing in the exact same USB stick Slackel 64-bit worked so well, in case it's a USB stick issue. I tried Basic and Full installations, gpt or msdos partitioning, using different computers. Whatever I do, I still get the same errors as described in previous posts. There must be a problem wilth Slackel 32-bit and sli/slackware-live; or maybe a missing package, but I am just guessing here.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

In Slackel 32 bit two kernels included huge and huge-smp. I think it is one damn line checking for which kernel is used but since there are two kernels it is confused. I will use another command to determine the kernel so the right initrd.gz will generated. I do not have time till Sunday to test it. My one 16GB sandisk cruser usb become read only. It has slackel openbox 64 bit installed as a live usb and it will remain as it is. This usb stick is dead. I have two other usb's to do the test. But not until Monday.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

This was the problem. The two kernels. I have fix it. The right kernel is used to make the initrd.gz. Please try once more. I have test it. Once with msdos partition table and a second test with a gpt partition table. In both tests booted successfully.
Do not forget to upgrade sli and slackware-live before run sli.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

I can confirm the 32-bit version of Slackel USB installation works now. I will test it extensively the next days as I customize it and install my own libraries.
Thank you Dimitri, and merry Christmas :)
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2021