[Fixed] mozjs upgraded, older version still installed

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Slackel, here's the place to post them.
Papasot

[Fixed] mozjs upgraded, older version still installed

Post by Papasot »

As of September 15, system update installs mozjs78 and Slackware-Current changelog marks mozjs68 as "removed". However, mozjs68 is still installed, apparently because of the weird naming of said package, which makes slapt-get think mozjs78 is a different package instead of a new version of mozjs68. Names like mozjs-78, mozjs-68 would make more sense, but that's a Slackware-Current issue not related to Slackel.

At any rate, mojzs68 is obsolete now, but you have to manually uninstall it. mozjs is known to affect other packages. Incorrect version of mozjs will prevent users from running wm-logout or mounting usb sticks, Such tasks work fine with mozjs78, so I see no reason keeping mozjs68 installed. It certainly doesn't cause any harm, but serves no purpose and just takes up a small amount of disk space.
Last edited by Papasot on 19 Sep 2020 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: mozjs upgraded, older version still installed

Post by djemos »

Since name is different system will not upgrade it.
I upload manually a mozjs78.con file to remove mozjs68 automatically when upgrade.

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo spi --show mozjs78

Package Required:   aaa_elflibs|gcc,aaa_elflibs|gcc-g++,aaa_elflibs|ncurses,aaa_elflibs|readline,aaa_elflibs|zlib
Package Conflicts:   mozjs68
Package Suggests:   
Package MD5 Sum:  dcd7d69f45ff799b29f3a2068cae760b
Package Description:
 mozjs78 (Mozilla's JavaScript Engine)
Papasot

Re: mozjs upgraded, older version still installed

Post by Papasot »

I just updated my Slackel 64 system and:

The following packages will be installed:
  mojjs78
The following package will be REMOVED:
  mozjs68
Thank you Dimitri!
I still wonder why they picked that weird package naming for mozjs... It just doesn't make any sense, and only forces special care for that particular package.