Virtual machines

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Slackel, here's the place to post them.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Virtual machines

Post by djemos »

juliusse wrote: My laptop (the one I use for work) has 12GB RAM, so it's not a problem, I can run several VM and firefox ;)
I envy you :-)
You can also install vmware-tools, while running a distro in vmware machine.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

djemos wrote: You can also install vmware-tools, while running a distro in vmware machine.
Yes, I saw that.

For the laptop with 12GB RAM, it's a good story.
Last year in February, a guy I know (not a friend, a pretentious a..hole, Mac addict, sexist, racist...) Was complaining because he had bought for Christmas sales a laptop for his daughter, and the laptop in question was slow, didn't worked well, and because it was a sales product, it can't be refunded by the shop. So he told me, that he can give it to me for 20€, because he would finally buy himself a new MacBook and give his old Mac to his daughter. (For him, a MacBook is the Graal).
So as a result, I have as a laptop for work an Asus nearly brand new, 17,5' screen, 12GB RAM, AMD A6 quad core CPU, Radeon R5 GPU. It runs on Slackel KDE, like a charm, fast and efficient. Of course, there are better machines, and would have preferred a Lenovo, but for 20€.... I will not complain.
:D :D :D
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

quite a story.
20€ ? :)
An ASUS AMD Ryzen 5 laptop costs 765€
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

It's not a Ryzen, it's the precedent A6 generation, but it's a solid deal. If I remember well, the guy had bought it for 600 in sales. For a Mac user, this is few, as they got the habit to pay the price of a car for a laptop. But for me, 600€ is more than I would never put in a computer. I prefer recycling laptops of other people or buy a refurbished Lenovo. And if it is free, better. For example, my wife's laptop is a Sony Vaio found in the garbage bin of a marina in Belgium 5 years ago.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

As i have seen after 3 kernel upgrades the latest VMware-Workstation-Full-15.5.6-16341506.x86_64.bundle do not need to run vmware.build-vmmon.sh script. After reboot vmware kernel modules vmmon.ko and vmnet.ko build in the background.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Thanks for the information. ;-)
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Hi Djemos,
did you upgrade vmware to 16 version?
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

No. I will download it and report.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Hi, I've successfully upgraded it, I've used this https://gist.github.com/gopalindians/ec ... b26ed76507, the keys are valid.
No problems, everything is functional for the moment, I'm actually upgrading the kernel from 5.4.66 to 5.4.67. I will try after to run vmware to see if this
After reboot vmware kernel modules vmmon.ko and vmnet.ko build in the background.
is still OK and then report here. ;)
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Kernel upgrade done.
It appears that vmmon and vmnet are automatically updated and installed by vmware.
Everything is OK!