[SOLVED] Bluetooth Failing To Connect

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
rmcg

[SOLVED] Bluetooth Failing To Connect

Post by rmcg »

I can find a bluetooth speaker, trust and pair it but it consistently had a failed to connect error over last few months. I Googled Slackware bluetooth connection problems and this forum on https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175645332/ gave me a solution. Particularly the part I have pasted below provided by abga
Senior Member: Registered: Jul 2017
Distribution: Slackware

I'm still using pulseaudio 9, the last one I was happy with, and I also noticed that I was not able to load modules, although the option allow-module-loading from /etc/pulse/daemon.conf should have been active (yes) by default. I went on and copied that option and removed the comment - ;
/etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Code:
; allow-module-loading = yes
allow-module-loading = yes
The last time I tried to make a bluetooth headset work, I had to put these records in /etc/pulse/default.pa
Code:
### BT modules
load-module module-bluetooth-policy
load-module module-bluez5-device
load-module module-bluez5-discover
These records will also "automate" the loading of the modules.

You always need to restart pulseaudio after changing its config.
Code:
/usr/bin/pulseaudio -k
/usr/bin/pulseaudio -D
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Bluetooth Failing To Connect

Post by djemos »

I have latest pulseaudio-13.0 and i have no problem connecting to my Samsung - j3 (2016)
It is good to always upgrade your system to be sure it is working with latest updates.
I did not also change anything in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
Here it is the /etc/pulse/default.pa (I did not change anything)

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/pulseaudio -nF
#
# This file is part of PulseAudio.
#
# PulseAudio is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
# under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
# the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
# (at your option) any later version.
#
# PulseAudio is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but
# WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
# MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU
# General Public License for more details.
#
# You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License
# along with PulseAudio; if not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

# This startup script is used only if PulseAudio is started per-user
# (i.e. not in system mode)

.fail

### Automatically restore the volume of streams and devices
load-module module-device-restore
load-module module-stream-restore
load-module module-card-restore

### Automatically augment property information from .desktop files
### stored in /usr/share/application
load-module module-augment-properties

### Should be after module-*-restore but before module-*-detect
load-module module-switch-on-port-available

### Load audio drivers statically
### (it's probably better to not load these drivers manually, but instead
### use module-udev-detect -- see below -- for doing this automatically)
#load-module module-alsa-sink
#load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:1,0
#load-module module-oss device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-oss-mmap device="/dev/dsp" sink_name=output source_name=input
#load-module module-null-sink
#load-module module-pipe-sink

### Automatically load driver modules depending on the hardware available
.ifexists module-udev-detect.so
load-module module-udev-detect
.else
### Use the static hardware detection module (for systems that lack udev support)
load-module module-detect
.endif

### Automatically connect sink and source if JACK server is present
.ifexists module-jackdbus-detect.so
.nofail
load-module module-jackdbus-detect channels=2
.fail
.endif

### Automatically load driver modules for Bluetooth hardware
.ifexists module-bluetooth-policy.so
load-module module-bluetooth-policy
.endif

.ifexists module-bluetooth-discover.so
load-module module-bluetooth-discover
.endif

### Load several protocols
.ifexists module-esound-protocol-unix.so
load-module module-esound-protocol-unix
.endif
load-module module-native-protocol-unix

### Network access (may be configured with paprefs, so leave this commented
### here if you plan to use paprefs)
#load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp
#load-module module-native-protocol-tcp

### Load the RTP receiver module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-rtp-recv

### Load the RTP sender module (also configured via paprefs, see above)
#load-module module-null-sink sink_name=rtp format=s16be channels=2 rate=44100 sink_properties="device.description='RTP Multicast Sink'"
#load-module module-rtp-send source=rtp.monitor

### Load additional modules from GSettings. This can be configured with the paprefs tool.
### Please keep in mind that the modules configured by paprefs might conflict with manually
### loaded modules.
.ifexists module-gsettings.so
.nofail
load-module module-gsettings
.fail
.endif

### Automatically restore the default sink/source when changed by the user
### during runtime
### NOTE: This should be loaded as early as possible so that subsequent modules
### that look up the default sink/source get the right value
load-module module-default-device-restore

### Automatically move streams to the default sink if the sink they are
### connected to dies, similar for sources
load-module module-rescue-streams

### Make sure we always have a sink around, even if it is a null sink.
load-module module-always-sink

### Honour intended role device property
load-module module-intended-roles

### Automatically suspend sinks/sources that become idle for too long
load-module module-suspend-on-idle

### If autoexit on idle is enabled we want to make sure we only quit
### when no local session needs us anymore.
.ifexists module-console-kit.so
load-module module-console-kit
.endif
.ifexists module-systemd-login.so
load-module module-systemd-login
.endif

### Enable positioned event sounds
load-module module-position-event-sounds

### Cork music/video streams when a phone stream is active
load-module module-role-cork

### Modules to allow autoloading of filters (such as echo cancellation)
### on demand. module-filter-heuristics tries to determine what filters
### make sense, and module-filter-apply does the heavy-lifting of
### loading modules and rerouting streams.
load-module module-filter-heuristics
load-module module-filter-apply

### Make some devices default
#set-default-sink output
#set-default-source input
Next i enable bluetooth from menus or with (sudo service restart bluetooth)
bluetooth appeared on right corner of the panel and i make a connection with my Samsung.
And sent a mp3 file from my Samsung to slackel openbox and then i played with smplayer.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I also have a WS_633BT Bluetooth Speaker,FM,SD Card,USB
and i just typed

sudo service restart bluetooth
sudo service restart pulseaudio
and i successfully connected and played from YouTube music to WS_633BT.
These above commands also set bluetooth and pulseaudio to be enabled after booting.

But after reboot i have to run again

sudo service restart pulseaudio
and then WS_633BT connect and i play the songs.
rmcg

Post by rmcg »

Thank you for your solution djemos yours was far simpler than the one I Googled and works perfectly, thanks tried this on a fresh install of slackel 7.3 openbox on a hp2760p elitebook laptop that I use for work. I'm a teacher and even though this laptop was produced in 2011 it is upgraded to 8GB of ram, has an Intel I5 processor, touch screen with stylus and I can rotate the screen, I have full touch sensitivity with stylus and skin. I'm really enjoying Slackel Openbox it's light and nimble with your distro, thanks for sharing this version of Slackware.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Bluetooth Failing To Connect

Post by djemos »

If it is OK to ask, where are you from?
I am also a teacher. I teach in a technical school of Agrinio Greece about electrical engineering things (i am an electrical engineer graduate Democritus University of Thrace (class 1980 - 1985)).
I have a 80L0 Lenovo G50-80 - 4GB RAM - i3-4030U (4) @ 1.800GHz laptop which i use for my work for personal use and to do slackel development.
I also use slackel64 openbox in this laptop which is fast, light and stable. In this laptop i had installed i don't remember which version of slackel and from then i just upgrade my system. This is the system i use to produce slackel editions.

Have a nice day :-)
rmcg

Post by rmcg »

Yes I'm from New Zealand have run Linux on my devices since around 2000 originally got interested in opensource software around 1999 after reading various articles in computing magazines advocating the benefits of Linux and opensource applications. Was particularly inspired by a teacher in the US who set up a computer lab at his school using Mandrake Linux in the late '90's. He advocated reduction in cost, control of software without huge liscencing hassles and the openess of the community around problem solving and information sharing in regard to Linux and the software that we could use. What really 'clicked' for me was the concept that education is a great fit with opensource software, chiefly around learning and being empowered with the free sharing of information. On a personal level that worked for me too, being able to find solutions for my use of computing devices. I have found Slackel has helped me by giving me a really responsive operating system (something I'd frequently read about Slackware) but was unable to achieve with Slackware as the learning curve was a little steep for me at the time. I always tended to go for the more user friendly distros - another benefit of Linux I guess you can find a distro that works for you. That's where I find myself with Slackel now, gaining more knowledge of a Slackware based distro with the advantage of tools that make it easier to get a Slackware based distro up and running.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Very interesting.

My first linux was redhat 5.0 on 1998. This is the first howto i wrote about linux on Dec 1998 in a Greek Linux magazine about how to set up Greek language in redhat 5.0. I just looked for it while writing this message to you and i was surprised it is still there. Use google translate to translate in English. Translation is quite good.
Since then i used many distro's and when i downloaded and installed slackware 9.0 i loved it. So since slackware was difficult to set up as i liked and also to do this in every new installation i tried to find a way to make it ready in every new installation and have a system as i liked it. Slackel 1.0 version was released on 2005 it was based on Slackware Linux 10.2 and it was a KDE edition. Slackel means Greek Slackware.
I fully agree with all you write above. Linux, opensource is for education. I also like the philosophy of people help each other find solutions or solve problems etc in open source world.

Welcome rmcg and i am very pleased to have met you here in the forums.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

I don't like to interrupt, but I guess it is worth mentioning I also had Redhat in 1998 and I was following that magazine djemos mentioned. After all those years I don't remember how I set up Greek language in RedHat 5, but I probably fllowed his howto.since that magazine was my first go-to place for information back then.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

This is the first announcement of Slackel 1.0 on Oct 11 2005 on ellak.gr and this is the English translation from google. I will keep both in Sourceforge servers to not be lost as live iso.
But the sad thing is that live iso does not exist anymore in ellak.gr server.
I still have the desktop pc i have develop it, a Dell 386 PII with 384 ΜΒ RAM and 10GB hard disk. It is still working. A few years ago I tried to find this first iso but i could not. I have to look if there is still somewhere in this pc or in a live cd.

Salix-13.0 first edition was released on Sep 16 2009
On Dec 29 2009 i joined the salix team.
On Oct 30 2010 the first salix kde 13.1.2 installation and live edition released, i have created with the help of salix team members helping in testing and other stuff.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:This is the first announcement of Slackel 1.0 on Oct 11 2005 on ellak.gr
Some months later, in the summer of 2006, I installed Slackware 10.2 on an old PC. I liked Slackware in many ways, but I really disliked the "install them all you need them or not" philosophy. With hours and hours of trial-and-error I managed to have a working Slackware system without excessive useless (for me) packages installed. I still have that machine, although I rarely turn it on and that only just out of curiosity to see if it is still working - and it does.
Being a Debian user on my main PC already, I considered switching to Slackware, because I liked the simplicity and the fact it could be installed in all my machines, new and old alike. But I rejected the idea because of all the hassle to set up Slackware the way I wanted and not the way PV wanted. This decision made me hooked to Debian until it was apparent the systemd plague was Debian's future. Once even basic applications became dependent on systemd (which I had blacklisted) I could not dodge it anymore, so I decided I had enough and left Debian forever.

Should I was aware of Slackel back then, many years of my GNU/Linux computing would be very different.