sailors like slackel 7.3

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense.
juliusse

sailors like slackel 7.3

Post by juliusse »

I, as a sailor, use old laptops in order to replace expensive plotters and other navigation electronic tools. All with free software.
Now, with this new release, I can also install slackel on an USB stick and use it as a backup on friends' boats.
With a little tweaking of the openbox version, i've managed to obtain energy consumption quasi as low as a raspberry, between 3W and 8W running navigation programs (plotter, AIS detection, etc...), And a few more with the mate version.
I keep the KDE version for my personal laptop (the one I'm using to do everything not related to the boat) because I like KDE and I prefer this DE for work and other.
So great thanks to @Djemos for the fantastic job.
Fair winds.
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"
djemos
Site Admin

Re: sailors like slackel 7.3

Post by djemos »

Thank you and i am happy that Slackel is useful.
You are a sailor. Fantastic!!!!
Tweaking openbox? What have you done, uninstalled some heavy programs in resources?
These programs, plotter, AIS detection etc, are opensource and have been compiled by yourself? It seems you have done a great work.
If you can tell more details then this can de done once and not have to do the same job again on every boat. e.g. create a specific if it is possible "slackel for sailors" :-)
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Hi Djemos.
For the consumption, I didn't uninstall nothing. I've achieved this by installing TLP and changing one or 2 things in the config file.
For the programs, everything is OpenSource, and apart for the AIS detection which is compiled (but very small), everything
can be found in the slackbuilds and be installed whith slapt-src/sourcery.
If you want I can send you an email with the details of the programs, because, of course a specific slackel for sailors would be great (you bet!)
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Yes, please send details.
Also, do you use LibreOffice,pidgin, and all other programs included, on a boat? Because if you don't then iso size image it will be much smaller.
You can use LibreOffice to write a document but to print it, a printer have to be present on a boat.
I am sorry for the "naive" questions but i know nothing about boat equipment.
A list of the programs needed by someone to run them in a boat.
And also a 64 bit openbox version will be enough or 32 bit also needed?
The quick question: It will be the slackel openbox 7.3 list of packages with the addition list of extra packages needed on a boat?
If the answer is yes then a creation of a script which will exist on repos and the user after installing it and run it, could download and install the extra programs needed (which will exist in repos also), it will be the quick solution without to have to recreate a new iso for now. And this can be used in openbox, mate and slackel kde. And also it will be good for testing purposes before releasing a new iso.

Another question: What is the voltage in a boat? 220-230 volts? So any laptop, tv etc used at home can plug in and work? And how many feet, meters these boats are?
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

In fact, I think it will be better using this topic instead of sending you an email, at least for the moment. All this discussion could be interesting for the community.
This post will be long, but I think it's necessary in order to "place" the scene.

So... let's go with the beginning.
nota: when I say "we", except opposite mention, I use it for "we, sailors"

Another question: What is the voltage in a boat? 220-230 volts? So any laptop, tv etc used at home can plug in and work? And how many feet, meters these boats are?
This is the first interesting thing. We (I and my wife) are living on a small sailboat, 28 feet (8,5m). The vast majority of people who are using a laptop to navigate have "small" boats, e.g. between 20 and 40 feet. There are exceptions, but bigger boats are not in the same range of budget and they are mostly using specifics materials.
The voltage on boats is in the majority of cases 12V, like in a van (basically a boat is a van on water :D ). the problematic is the same. for laptop usage for example, we use 12-19V converters.
Today, there are lots of solutions in order to get rid of expensive and specific (aka "marine") materials for navigation purpose. For example, solutions with raspberries are the actual trend, see for example the great job of Sailoog with openplotter, https://openmarine.net/openplotter
But, this need for the user to be a little bit "Mac Gyver", and if you want a good and operational system, money (board, screen, devices, integration,...)
For a small boat, this is a little bit complicated, and for me also lacks of portability like a laptop that you could disembark in a bar for example. Moreover, the cost of and old laptopausaurus is nothing in comparison and I will always prefer recycle an old laptop instead buying new things.
Today, 2 linux systems are presents for this purpose:
Navigatrix http://www.navigatrix.net/, a lubuntu(yerk!) 32bits based system, but old, and poorly updated.
Xinutop https://marinux.tuxfamily.org/ a backported Debian Jessie(yerk) based system, but with a lot of good ideas, and lots of interesting concepts.
Those 2 systems have drawbacks, the fact that they are not very up-to-date, but I mention them, like openplotter, because they can help to understand what are the needs.

BUT, when you're a Slackware-based system user, nothing, except adapting your existing system.
The basic needs are the following: a specialized GPS plotter with cartography, image managing to create personal charts, AIS detection, meteorology, multimedia and office work.

Also, do you use LibreOffice,pidgin, and all other programs included, on a boat? Because if you don't then iso size image it will be much smaller.
You can use LibreOffice to write a document but to print it, a printer have to be present on a boat.

Yes, all of the usual programs are needed, the laptop is also used to work from the boat, so you need to be able to send mails, edit documents, communicate, and so on. Even Gimp is used to re-calibrate images in order to for example transform satellites images in charts. The size of the iso image is not really a problem, today, USB sticks are mostly more than 16GB (in fact I found that it's nearly impossible to buy an USB with less capacity ;) )
Of course there is always things that are unnecessary, but in a first time, I don't see this question relevant for testing purpose.

I am sorry for the "naive" questions but i know nothing about boat equipment.
You don't have to, sailing is a mysterious world for most people, but the proportion of Linux users in the sailors' community is way bigger than the rest of population. When you're traveling on a boat, sometime on great distances, you need a reliable OS, and at the end you often end on Linux. And if you're like me and are using Slackware since the last century, you also want something rock solid and stable

And also a 64 bit openbox version will be enough or 32 bit also needed?
I think yes, in fact, the purpose is to be able to use every machine, even an old "given by someone" laptop if necessary, and also be able to use the Windows(double yerk!!) machine of a friend/senegalese cybercafe/every laptop/... as it would be mine.

The quick question: It will be the slackel openbox 7.3 list of packages with the addition list of extra packages needed on a boat?
If the answer is yes then a creation of a script which will exist on repos and the user after installing it and run it, could download and install the extra programs needed (which will exist in repos also), it will be the quick solution without to have to recreate a new iso for now. And this can be used in openbox, mate and slackel kde. And also it will be good for testing purposes before releasing a new iso.

And the answer is YES. I also think it's the way to go. As you say, it would also can be used on mate and KDE.

If in the end a specific iso is created, my opinion is that openbox is the WM that can offer the best results in terms of efficiency(energy consumption, stability and speed), and at this moment maybe putting out some packages in order to be even more efficient.
If a specific iso is released, I also think it would be great to keep the extra programs script maintained. In my head, one specific openbox iso and a script to "transform" the other slackel versions would be the best. Moreover, this script could also profit to Slackware and Salix users!

A list of the programs needed by someone to run them in a boat.
The nerve of the topic.
The vast majority have slackbuilds, if not, I will precise it.

So

-The first program is Opencpn https://opencpn.org/ https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN https://launchpad.net/~opencpn/+archive/ubuntu/opencpn . This is the big part. Personnaly, I use the slackbuild, and, if a slackel package is released, maybe it's better to be based on the slackbuild version and not the mainstream (aka launchpad ppa or last release). The fact is sometimes the last releases are a little buggy and it's always better to have a full-functional program, even if it has missed one release. I've discuss this with Matt Dinslage (daedra) the opencpn slackbuild maintainer, and he is agree with this. For all the plugins, I don't know if they are necessary, apart for th oesenc-plugin (wich has also a slackbuild), I think they are not necessary and if someone want them, you could see that in time.
-Gpsd is a very useful program https://gpsd.gitlab.io/gpsd/, also in the slackbuilds, and as a dependency of opencpn, it's necessary.
-Gpsbabel https://www.gpsbabel.org/
-Muplex (no slackbuild) https://marinux.tuxfamily.org/#MUPLEX
-Xygrib (no slackbuild), https://opengribs.org/en/xygrib for meteo purposes, can read openskiron's gribs https://openskiron.org/he/
-imgkap (no slackbuild) http://dacust.com/inlandwaters/imgkap/ for cartography.
-Qgis would also be useful, but not essential.
-wvdial, that has a slackbuild, used to connect to a phone satellite modem.
-TLP is for me a good way to manage energy, more "human usable" than laptop-mode-tools for noobs

Now the second list of programs, the radio part.
Today, we can use cheap dvb receivers, or a little more expensive SDR (Software defined radio) in order to receive all types of signals, including AIS via VHF and weatherfax via HF/marine USB. All those programs are in the slackbuilds except one.

the first necessary program in order to do that is "rtl-sdr". It has to be installed first in order for the following programs to be able to use SDR.
Following the installation of rtl-sdr, it's also necessary to blacklist the DVB driver (aka rtl28xxu) in modprobe.d (

Code: Select all

echo 'blacklist dvb_usb_rtl28xxu' | sudo tee --append /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-dvb_usb_rtl28xxu.conf
or something like that)
then the followings can be installed.

-gnuradio and his extensions, gr-osmosdr, gr-iqbal
-gqrx-sdr
-fldigi

And, last but not least, the ultra necessary rtl-ais, by dgiardini, simple and efficient https://github.com/dgiardini/rtl-ais, the other AIS programs are heavy and not as good.

Very sorry for the novel, but I thought it was necessary. As you will see, a vast part of those projects and programs are europeans.
Thnak for your time, don't hesitate if you have any question. Of course, I will be totally avaiable for testing purpose and advices for the " marine and radio parts" of the things, because I don't think you need advices on the computing part.

Julien
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

wvstreams was needed some extra work to be compiled.
gnuradio was really a challenge. Could not be compiled because of boost-1.7.3 and needed a lot of patch and took a lot of hours to compile.
I created a sailors folder in repos so all packages to be under same place.
There are only x86_64 builds for now. Of course tests are needed.

pkglist

TLP-1.2.2-x86_64-1dj.txz
fldigi-4.0.12-x86_64-1dj.txz
freeimage-3.18.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
gnuradio-3.8.1.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
gpsbabel-1.6.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
gpsd-3.18.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
gr-iqbal-0.38.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
gr-osmosdr-0.2.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
happy-sailing-1.0.0-noarch-1dj.txz
imgkap-1.11-x86_64-1dj.txz
libminizip-1.2.11-x86_64-1dj.txz
libmspack-0.5alpha-x86_64-1dj.txz
libnova-0.15.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
libosmo-dsp-0.4.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
log4cpp-1.1.3-x86_64-1dj.txz
muplex-0.4-noarch-1dj.txz
opencpn-5.0.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
opencpn-plugin-oesenc-4.0.10-x86_64-1dj.txz
proj-7.0.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
python-cheetah-2.4.4-x86_64-1dj.txz
qwt-6.1.5-x86_64-1dj.txz
qwt5-5.2.3-x86_64-1dj.txz
rtl-ais-0.3-x86_64-1dj.txz
rtl-sdr-20180603-x86_64-1dj.txz
valgrind-3.16.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
volk-2.3.0-x86_64-1dj.txz
wvdial-1.61-x86_64-1dj.txz
wvstreams-4.6.1-x86_64-1dj.txz
xygrib-1.2.6-x86_64-1dj.txz
To bring fair winds.

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i happy-sailing
sudo happy-sailing install
To uninstall all packages except happy-sailing

sudo happy-sailing uninstall

sudo happy-sailing --help
USAGE: happy-sailing [install|uninstall]

OPTIONS:
   install  Install packages
   uninstall Uninstall packages
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Hi Djemos.
I was hoping an answer like "ok, I will have a look and tell you if I could do something". And you're back with a "done! Try it!"
This is great.
I, of course, will do some testing this weekend on water.
A huge thank you.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Hi, Juliusse.
Just a note. Volk it is included in gnuradio binary as internal build. There is also a volk external package. If you install gnuradio first and then external volk, volk external package will replace volk internal package.
If you install volk first and then gnuradio then gnuradio internal build will replace external volk. I mention this so you can check if both are working. So i can uninstall volk external package and remove it of the repository.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

OK I'll check that. ;)
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Sorry to bother.
One small question. Why do you recommend to make an msdos partition instead of gpt when proceeding to a "real install" on an external USB stick/SSD/HDD? For better compatibility?