sailors like slackel 7.3

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense.
juliusse

Re: sailors like slackel 7.3

Post by juliusse »

And one important thing.
Until now, I hadn't perform a

Code: Select all

happy-sailing install
, because I had installed programs one by one.
I've noticed that gnuradio was missing md5, an installed it with --no-md5.
Today I've tried a direct install with

happy-sailing install
and the script blocks after the upload because of gnuradio missing md5sum.
Could you please check?
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Done. I had made some changes and this happened.
Try

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i gnuradio
I manage to patch and compile the gnuradio-3.7.13.2 with gnuradio-companion which run from menus.

Also i recompiled gnuradio-3.8.1.0 and now has gnuradio-companion also.
But when i run gnuradio-companion 3.8.1.0 from terminal i get

<<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion 3.8.1.0 >>>

Block paths:
	/usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_bercurve_sink')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_const_sink_x')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_edit_box_msg')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_freq_sink_x')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_histogram_sink_x')
Warning: docstring loader crashed too often
Install gnuradio-3.7.13.2 and i am sure it works fine.
And check if these warnings of gnuradio-3.8.1 are not important. So to know which i will upload on repos or keep the existed version.

Also i could not understand how you use this thing. And with what device.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Hi.

" i could not understand how you use this thing. And with what device."
I'm sorry, you're right, maybe I should have begin with that. It would be a little bit long to explain, so I will give you links to Wikipedia. I'm sorry but it's probably the best way to explain quickly and human-readable.
In fact, HAM (amateur radio) has not disappeared with satellites, PC and modern techs. The thing is that it has evolved with modern tools, and HAM is today more alive than never.

for gnu-radio:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Radio
the devices are called SDR(Software Defined Radio):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software-defined_radio
particulary:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software- ... io#RTL-SDR

This is a little bit complicated, and as I'm using radio devices since a long time and began with analogical ones, I cannot explain in simple terms.
Let's say that I'm able to build a VHF antenna with cooper tubes(or plastic ones and a cooper cable), or a HF antenna with a clothesline(and then receive a wheaterfax from hamburg in the middle of the Atlantic)

I had made a
sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i gnuradio
This install gnuradio 3.8.1.0, as well as a

happy-sailing install
But in this case, gnuradio-companion is not present.
For general usage, the companion is not really mandatory, as gnuradio will be called automatically by other programs like GQRX for example. But it's always nice to have it, specially for diagnoses purposes(eg finding what's wrong with a receiver, or signals).

the error message you mentionned

<< Welcome to GNU Radio Companion 3.8.1.0 >>>

Block paths:
   /usr/share/gnuradio/grc/blocks
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_bercurve_sink')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_const_sink_x')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_edit_box_msg')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_freq_sink_x')
Warning: restarting the docstring loader (crashed while loading 'qtgui_histogram_sink_x')
Warning: docstring loader crashed too often
The first results I've found is that it seems to be a segfault. gnuradio 3.8 is a big update, and some changes have appeared. It seems that it has to be build with Cmake 3.11 or more, and need that precedent version (3.7) would be totally removed to avoid problems.
I will investigate more, but during this time, maybe it would be better to stay with the functional version in the sailors repo.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Thanks for the details about gnuradio.

"happy-sailing install" will download and install the gnuradio-3.8.1.0-x86_64-1dj.txz existed in repos which do not include gnuradio-companion.

gnuradio-3.8.1.0-x86_64-2dj.txz has the gnuradio-companion with errors

and gnuradio-3.7.13.2 has no errors running from command line the gnuradio-companion

OK. Lets stay with what it is working, for the time. I agree.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

gnuradio-3.8.1.0-x86_64-2dj.txz has the gnuradio-companion with errors

and gnuradio-3.7.13.2 has no errors running from command line the gnuradio-companion
Don't worry, I had understood this perfectly, tried the two packages and encounter the exact same error than you with 3.8
3.7 is working correctly
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Let me know when gnuradio 3.7.13.2 will be on the repos. Thanks
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

juliusse wrote:Let me know when gnuradio 3.7.13.2 will be on the repos. Thanks
If i will upload gnuradio-3.7.13.2 on repos i have to remove the gnuradio-3.8.1.0, so 3.7.13.2 will be installed with happy-saliling.
This is what you mean?
I can do this. If i understood well.

Edit: Done.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

Yes, this is what I mean.
For the moment I think that it's better. I think it's better to have that version on sailors repo duringl the "investigation" on gnuradio 3.8. :D
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

What i found is that a desktop file for gnuradio-companion is not included. So i can extract and add the desktop file from 3.8.1.0 and repackaged so it will appeared on menus.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

I don't think it would be necessary for the moment, as long as it can be launched with a terminal. But if you want let's try and see if it works. ;)
Tomorrow I'll try to make some photos of the SDR device, and screenshots of opencpn, gqrx, others programs to post here.

Is there a screen recorder software in Slackel's repos?(like kazam or simple screen recorder)