Slackel Reviews
djemos
Site Admin

Slackel 7.3 Openbox reviews

Post by djemos »

Papasot

Re: Slackel 7.3 Openbox reviews

Post by Papasot »

The review is not bad, at least it tries to pay justice to Slackel. However, the reviewer make three huge mistakes in the beginning. He even calls Slackel the "spiritual successor to Salix", which is completely wrong, since Slackel is older than Salix... Some people do reviews without doing some research first.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Never mind. I like this guy. He is very good in his job. I like in the end says "peace".
This month was very productive for slackel. Openbox new release, a MATE first time release and a kde release after 3 years and 8 months. Now i can go for vacations in Nafpaktos.

Another think is that in distrowatch they announced slackel openbox but they did not do it for MATE and kde. I send them the link. While there are 3 announcements for opensuse in the front page. OK. Suse may donate them but it is a company while slackel do not even have its own repository server.
So if you know some people just send them a link of slackel MATE and KDE to promote.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:This month was very productive for slackel. Openbox new release, a MATE first time release and a kde release after 3 years and 8 months. Now i can go for vacations in Nafpaktos.
Very true, and have fun at Nafpaktos, it's a beautiful place.

As for Distrowatch, well, they are not exactly unbiased.
Last edited by Papasot on 01 Aug 2020 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Thanks
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:So if you know some people just send them a link of slackel MATE and KDE to promote.
My brother uses Slackel Openbox (which I installed for him), I'm sure he will be happy to know a new KDE version is out - although I will try to convince him to go for MATE instead. By the way, I tried Slackel MATE and I liked it, but main Slackel machine stays Openbox because I like the ultra lightweight environment. I found MATE surprisingly lightweight though, I'm sure many will go for it instead.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I also use Openbox. It is the main release. But i like MATE and i do not like KDE because it is heavy. I made these editions for other people may prefer MATE or KDE.
My brother-in-law was using windows. Once a while i had to spend hours to clean the laptop of viruses. So i told him to install linux. Because slackel, i thought, it is not for newbies in Linux i installed ubuntu 14.04 and for some years i was calm. This happened some years ago. He was telling system is slow. So i made an upgrade to 16.04. A couple of months ago he was coming to my home and take a HP 2GB laptop i have, with slackel installed. He said he plays a game and your slackel is fast with firefox. So last month he said erase ubuntu and install slackel to my laptop. I told him, it is not for you. He said it is fast i want it.
So i installed slackel openbox 7.2 and even i am sure he did not do any upgrade because he does not know anything about slapt-get etc he is fine.
Even with no upgrade system is working fine.
juliusse

Post by juliusse »

A long time ago ;) I was a KDE user, liked it. then I switched to Xfce because at this time I had only one machine to do all (work and leisure), and i've extensively use it.
Openbox is my favorite choice now for productions machines, work and specific usages because it's ultra light and ultra efficient.
Mate have never grabbed me, because i've never liked gnome, but I must recognize that it light and efficient, and understand why so many people like it.
Gnome3 is for me out of the game.
But, recently, I saw an article talking about the fact that plasma was now more efficient than last Xfce, so I decided to be back to it.
Of course, it's heavy, of course it's full of options and other stuffs. But, on my personal leisure laptop, in the end I like it. and I can confirm that it's now nearly as light as the last xfce version, and lot more efficient. I think the KDE guys have focused on a way to have a more efficient and coherent DE. ON xfce for example, you're ending with a lot of gnome or Kde in fine . One other thing that made me switch is that I was always using K softwares (Kdenlive, Kaffeine, ...)

I really like Djemos' ubuntu story, I had the same with my uncle who was converted to linux via ubuntu, and wanted something more efficient a few years ago. I didn't know about Slackel, but I was using Slackware, and install him Salix. He now runs on Slackel openbox of course and like it a lot.
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"