Post-installation problem

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
linocaetani

Post-installation problem

Post by linocaetani »

Hello everyone, lately I changed my computer and I tried to put Slackel 7.0 in it but without success. The initial installation from the live cd works fine, but once the system is rebooted I can not upgrade via terminal or Gslapt, it stops after a while, then locks the mouse pointer and fails to open programs on the desktop. As a result of these problems I had to switch to Salix but honestly my hope is always to use Slackel because I would like to have slackware current repo. I was thinking about how I can solve this situation: the live cd is now from last year and the upgrade is very long and therefore tends to get stuck. Is there any other way to install from the live cd without problems? The basic version? In this case, how can I do for post-installation? Or can I download a more recent ISO version? Or can I try to make the upgrade work with some terminal intervention? Thanks in advance for the answers, a greeting hoping to use my favorite distro soon.
DidierSpaier

Re: Post-installation problem

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hello linocaetani, this could be the consequence of an issue, now fixed, with spkg, used by slapt-get and gslapt.

Just after Slackel installation, type: as root

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i spkg
Then, you should be able to get and install the upgraded packages as usual.

Best regards,

Didier
linocaetani

Post by linocaetani »

Thank you very much Didier, I'll give another try
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Please read this How to upgrade Slackel-7.0 after live-dvd installation to latest slackware-current before upgrading.
It is good to read first the documentation on slackel forum.
I suggest to do a full installation to not have problems.
linocaetani

Post by linocaetani »

I followed all instruction but at last step (update-grub) there is a problem whith GLIBC-25
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

linocaetani wrote:I followed all instruction but at last step (update-grub) there is a problem whith GLIBC-25
What is the message in the screen. Describe the problem.
linocaetani

Post by linocaetani »

The problem is after upgrading grub, booting there is a kernel panic and the system doesn't start. In the terminal I can't use sudo, is missing all the files usr etc.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

After upgrade grub you have to run sudo update-grub before boot your system. Otherwise you get kernel panic. In case you run sudo update-grub before boot your system then maybe glibc did not upgrade correctly.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

linocaetani wrote:The problem is after upgrading grub, booting there is a kernel panic and the system doesn't start. In the terminal I can't use sudo, is missing all the files usr etc.
Be sure you have install efivar package

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -i efivar
linocaetani

Post by linocaetani »

Hi djemos, finally I have installed the iso live 7.1 and everything works fine now. The only problem was when I have upgraded the system, I had to disable slackware current repo. However, thank you for your work, slackel is really cool