Upgrade aaa_base package

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
djemos
Site Admin

Upgrade aaa_base package

Post by djemos »

To upgrade aaa_base package do this to not break your system

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i -d --reinstall aaa_base
for 64 bit

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-*.txz
for 32 bit

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware/a/aaa_base-14.2-*.txz
DidierSpaier

Re: Upgrade aaa_base package

Post by DidierSpaier »

Hi Dimitris,

We really need to have slapt-get --upgrade making a pre-installation of the new package, as you suggested some time ago...

EDIT: I should have written spkg, so the issue with slapt-get exists only if spkg is used as back-end, I think.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Hi, Didier. What i found is that /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash. Using slapt-get or spkg after downloading aaa_base, this /bin/sh link is deleted. A message appeared that post installation failed. And then user cannot execute any script using sh script_name.
This is why i use /bin/bash with upgradepkg to reinstall the aaa_base package.
spkg is more quick than spkgtools packages, installpkg, upgradepkg. In Salix there is no problem since aaa_base will never installed again in this stable tree of slackware.
But in Slackel where everything changes all the time, this is really a problem. Some users will not read the posts in this forum so in Slackel will break their systems.
I agree we have to dig into spkg and/or slapt-get source code, to do a pre-installation when some critical packages as aaa_base are upgraded. I hope to find time to look into this problem.
asqwerth

Post by asqwerth »

Is this to be done before or after I upgrade the rest of the packages that don't get picked up in a normal upgrade, ie, the kernel and glibc stuff?
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

asqwerth wrote:Is this to be done before or after I upgrade the rest of the packages that don't get picked up in a normal upgrade, ie, the kernel and glibc stuff?
Before or after.
asqwerth

Post by asqwerth »

The reinstall aaa_base command gives me:

Get http://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware64-current/ aaa_base 14.2-x86_64-4 [12.0kB]...Done
I assume that means I should

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-x86_64-4.txz
?

Instead of sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-x86_64-3.txz
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

asqwerth wrote:The reinstall aaa_base command gives me:

Get http://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware64-current/ aaa_base 14.2-x86_64-4 [12.0kB]...Done
I assume that means I should

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-x86_64-4.txz
?

Instead of sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-x86_64-3.txz
Yes. The build tag has changed because aaa-base has been upgraded (exactly: rebuilt) one more time today.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Yes.
So it is better to edit the commands
for 64 bit

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware64/a/aaa_base-14.2-*.txz
for 32 bit

sudo /bin/bash upgradepkg --reinstall /var/slapt-get/slackware/a/aaa_base-14.2-*.txz
asqwerth

Post by asqwerth »

I have reinstalled the aaa_base package.

However, when I then followed up with a slapt-get -u and slapt-get --upgrade, I got a "missing md5 checksum" message.

I followed your directions here: viewtopic.php?p=1001#p1001

to do a sudo slapt-get --clean

before the update and upgrade, but no success.

I'll try again tomorrow.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

run and check if solves the problem. But i think that you run the slapt-get --upgrade when i was uploading packages.

sudo slapt-get --add-keys
sudo slapt-get --clean
sudo slapt-get -u