No Ethernet Connection After Installation

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
dhinds

No Ethernet Connection After Installation

Post by dhinds »

During the live session of Slackel Openbox 6.0.7 prior to Installation I had no problem connecting to the Internet but after the installation and rebooting, no connection was made.

Also I wasn't able to encounter where to configure it manually (except for WiFi, which this desktop computer doesn't have).

Other than that everything functioned quite well.

Thanks in advance for your response.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: No Ethernet Connection After Installation

Post by djemos »

This is strange.
be sure rc.inet1 is running.
sudo service start inet1
or
sudo service restart inet1
then run netconfig to set up ethernet.
sudo netconfig
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

djemos wrote:This is strange.
This is an uncommon event, then.
djemos wrote:be sure rc.inet1 is running.
sudo service start inet1
or
then run netconfig to set up ethernet.
sudo netconfig
Ok, thanks for the instructions. I'll try that and get back to you with the results.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Also using wicd can also set up your ethernet. Go to "Preferences" and in wired interface there is eth0. So your ethernet have to set up at boot.
On external programs can choose chcpcd if the default Automatic is not working.
Type ifconfig and can see something like this
eth0: flags=4099<UP,BROADCAST,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet 192.168.1.64 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast 192.168.1.255
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

I am going to start over with v. 6.0.8 and have a few questions:

1.- Is there an advantage to using the installation iso rather than the live session iso to install Slackel?

2.- I have multiple operating systems installed on multiple computers and Slackware derivatives won't let me use the user and root passwords I use on the others, which are shorter than the Slackel installation application allows.

Can I avoid that, or do I have to comply with Slackware's idea of what I should do? (Which means I will forget it, afterwards).

3.- I use 2 Windows applications (a PIM and a pdf converter).

So I need to install Wine and my CPU's are all 64 bit.

Is that going to be complicated? Would it be much easier to install the 32 bit version of Slackel instead?

Thanks again for your response, djemos.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

1. No. Whatever you choose you will have the same system after installation. The benefit of a live iso is that can be used for installation and also as a live system for fixing problems or to be used as a live usb with persistent (meaning can keep changes after a reboot e.g. upgrade programs except kernel)
2. You have to follow with what slackel offers about user and password length. A very short password is not safe. My user name and password are 5 characters only. I do not think this is long and hard to remember.
3. If you use 64 bit then you have to also install multilib to be able to run windows applications. There is a script in repos which make the installation easy ( sudo slapt-get -i install-multilib) and in a terminal type

Code: Select all

sudo install-multilib slackel local 
to install multilib.
Then install wine
Or just use 32 bit versions of slackel which is easier and do not need to install multilib.
Can try both ways in one pc or in vmare or virtual-box and see what is easier for you.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

djemos wrote:1. No. Whatever you choose you will have the same system after installation. The benefit of a live iso is that can be used for installation and also as a live system for fixing problems or to be used as a live usb with persistent (meaning can keep changes after a reboot e.g. upgrade programs except kernel)
OK. I'll go with the live version, then.
djemos wrote:2. You have to follow with what slackel offers about user and password length. A very short password is not safe. My user name and password are 5 characters only. I do not think this is long and hard to remember.
It is when it's different than the rest. (Manjaro, Calculate, Sparky, Fedora & openSUSE) but is not major issue if I save it somewhere).
djemos wrote:3. If you use 64 bit then you have to also install multilib to be able to run windows applications. There is a script in repos which make the installation easy ( sudo slapt-get -i install-multilib) and in a terminal type

sudo install-multilib slackel local 
to install multilib.
Then install wine

Or just use 32 bit versions of slackel which is easier and do not need to install multilib.
Can try both ways in one pc or in vmare or virtual-box and see what is easier for you.
Since the CPUs are all 64 bit I'd prefer to stick with that unless I can't get Wine (or even CrossOver) to work.

Following your instructions I should have no problem (and is a distinct advantage over Salix).

Besides, I like Openbox and no systemd.

Thanks for the rapid and complete response, djemos

I'll report back regarding how it goes.
Last edited by dhinds on 20 Nov 2016 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Following your instructions I should have no problem (and is a distinct advantage over Salix).
I have written this script to work in slackel (slackware current) and in salix (slackware stable) as well.
To install multilib in salix type

sudo install-multilib salix local
and will download an install multilib for salix (slackware stable)

Type sudo install-multilib to see more options
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

After installing v. 6.0.8 the same thing occurred: Using live session to install Slackel I had a functioning Internet connection but none from the new installation.

Following your instructions I was still unable to configure a working connection using netconfig.

I'm not sure why. There were four options and I tried them all: Static (using the IP from this machine Sparky LXDE shows and another that ifconfig dislayed): Loop and the 2 automatic options.

I am unsure of the domain name (which I assume would be that of my Internet Service Provider).

And the upshot is that Midori continued to tell me I wasn't connected to the Internet.

Maybe I should run the live session again and take a look at what it's using to connect.

Also, I found nothing in wicd that let me configure an ethernet connection.

ifconfig showed a connection but it wasn't the one the other distros use and didn't connect me to the web.

Maybe I'll get a wireless adaptor.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I think i found what is the problem. Stop the standard single network wifi startup script ( wireless) run

sudo servicesetup
and hit spacebar key to uncheck wireless ( can do the same from menus- > system -> system services)
Then from wicd do a refresh and click on wired network to connect

or reboot