Hard Upgrade on HD

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
atipp

Hard Upgrade on HD

Post by atipp »

I installed openbox-7.0 on a hard drive from the USB stick.
I choose lilo as boot loader and the installation turned error.
Next try I choose grub and installation succeeded. I am not familiar with grub.

Checking for upgrade it showed more than a 100. I proceeded with upgrading and first upgraded glibc* following instructions given.
Next I installed multimedia codex. After that finished I could not open anymore several applications like lxterminal or slapt-get since some libraries went missing like libidn2 libunistring. Sourcery could not be opened, no vte module found.

Luckily I found the missing libraries in persistent of my install USB stick. I copied them to the HD and all applications then opened.
I then cautiously proceeded with upgrading the rest and there was as well vte.

During upgrade I noticed that when the repo is slackware.uk/slackware/* I have a fast download, however, when an application comes from repo slackel .gr/repo/i486/current downloads slows down to only 10% of the speed I get from slackware.uk

Could that be corrected?

I did not upgrade to the new kernel since I am unfamiliar with grub.
Does grub automatically change the MBR or do I have something to run like lilo lilo.conf in order to set for the new kernel in the MBR?

Regards
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Hard Upgrade on HD

Post by djemos »

About lilo there is a problem which has been found and corrected.
Before do the installation( before run sli) Read this

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i slackware-live
Also there was a bug in spkg which has been corrected now. And glibc upgrade was problematic. So also upgrade spkg and slapt-get

sudo slapt-get -i libidn2 spkg slapt-get

And then run sli.
libidn2 is a new addition in slackware current and is dep for slapt-get. So first install libidn2 and then slapt-get.

You can install lilo as boot loader of course. It will work.
I use grub which is better. After a kernel upgrade before reboot always have to run

sudo update-grub
like you run sudo lilo -v if you use lilo

Yes slackel repo slackel.gr/repo/i486/current and slackel.gr/repo/x86_64/current downloads are slow. I cannot do anything about it since slackel.gr is an alias for slackel.sourceforge.net. Slackel does not have it's own server and is using sourceforge servers which are free. It is hosted there since there are no money for paying for a server. It is also the only repo, there are no mirrors.
atipp

Re: Hard Upgrade on HD

Post by atipp »

Thank you so much. That explains all very well.

That install was for the computer of my wife where I changed
from slackel-kde to openbox. She surely will like it. It will be
easier for her. A great box. :)