Install to external usb3 SSD

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
EddJuglans

Install to external usb3 SSD

Post by EddJuglans »

Please excuse me if this question is in the wrong place.

I have a spare SSD in an external usb3 enclosure, which I normally just use for fast backups. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to install Slackel KDE onto this external drive, using SlackelLive from a usb datastick?

Many thanks...
Edd
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Install to external usb3 SSD

Post by djemos »

1. One option is to use the script install_on_usb.sh (which is included in iso image) and do a frugal installation in this external ssd usb. Creating also a persistent file can use it as a usb stick in every pc or laptop. read the respective instructions
2. Second option is to boot from a usb or live iso and install the slackel kde (real installation) in this external drive.
ATTENTION: If you choose to install grub, grub will be installed to /dev/sda and not in /dev/sdb, usb drive ssd disk. So uncheck grub and lilo checkbox.
Also you will need to create an initrd file to be able to boot from this ssd drive your installation. In the previous link you will have to change kernel version to yours and salix to slackel before run the mkinitrd command.
You will need also the kernel source package which is not exist anymore in slackware current since kernel was upgraded to 4.4.15.
To build the kernel source package for any kernel version if has been removed from slackware current use this kernel-source or this kernel and source First read the README file.

I also don't think doing a real installation in an external drive will be useful. It is better to do a frugal installation which is easy to be done and can be used everywhere using it with a persistent file.
EddJuglans

Re: Install to external usb3 SSD

Post by EddJuglans »

Thank you for your response djemos

I will follow your advice and do a frugal installation with persistent file.

Many thanks...