[Solved] Problem upgrading kernel in Slackel 32-bit only

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Papasot

[Solved] Problem upgrading kernel in Slackel 32-bit only

Post by Papasot »

There is a problem with upgrading kernel. While it works as expected in Slackel 64-bit, in 32-bit the usual:

Code: Select all

install-upgrade-kernel upgrade huge
does indeed upgrade the kernel, but fails to update Grub saying it cannot overwrite a file. You need to manually do sudo update-grub, or the system won't boot at next reboot, because it still looks for the old kernel. The only way to fix it after rebooting is to boot from Slackel usb and chroot the installed system to update Grub manually.

The problem is not new, actually. It happened last time I tried to upgrade the kernel in 32-bit, but I thought I mistyped something. I did not. It happened again today when I upgraded the kernel.
Last edited by Papasot on 12 Oct 2023 21:13, edited 1 time in total.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Problem upgrading kernel in Slackel 32-bit only

Post by djemos »

Grub saying it cannot overwrite a file
what is the file ?
After chroot and upgrade system from usb and boot in the installed system when run sudo update-grub you get the same message about the file?
After running the script run manually sudo update-grub. Do you get the same message about the file?

type ls -l /boot what kernels exist there?
It is strange. Looking inside the script /usr/bin/install-upgrade-kernel it just run sudo /usr/sbin/update-grub in the end.
typing ls -l /boot are there other kernels installed ? Do you have installed both huge and huge-smp kernels ? If both are installed did you still get the message about grub?

install gui install-upgrade-kernel-gtk
It is for installations on internal ssd or hd disk.
run it from terminal sudo install-upgrade-kernel-gtk and upgrade huge again no matter if kernel already installed. In the end it will run grub.

I do not have slackel 32 or 64bit installed on ssd or hd disk so i cannot check it.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote: 19 Sep 2023 17:12
Grub saying it cannot overwrite a file
what is the file ?
After chroot and upgrade system from usb and boot in the installed system when run sudo update-grub you get the same message about the file?
After running the script run manually sudo update-grub. Do you get the same message about the file?
I can't remember the name of the file that could not be overwritten. After fixing the problem with chroot and rebooting, everything works, including sudo update-grub which works as expected, and without issuing any problem.
djemos wrote: 19 Sep 2023 17:12type ls -l /boot what kernels exist there?
The only kernel mentioned by ls -l /boot is 6.1.53, both huge and huge-smp.
djemos wrote: 19 Sep 2023 17:12It is strange. Looking inside the script /usr/bin/install-upgrade-kernel it just run sudo /usr/sbin/update-grub in the end.
typing ls -l /boot are there other kernels installed ? Do you have installed both huge and huge-smp kernels ? If both are installed did you still get the message about grub?
It is indeed strange. When the problem appeared, install-upgrade-kernel upgrade huge did try to update grub in the and. It's not like update-grub was not executed. It did, but failed. After fixing the problem and rebooting, (with the latest kernel installed and working) running install-upgrade-kernel upgrade huge again works and successfully updates grub in the end. So I cannot recreate the problem right now. It only appears when there is a new kernel to be installed, and it's not the same with the kernel the system runs. And it only appears in 32-bit. I did the exact same thing in 64-bit and it never had a problem.
djemos wrote: 19 Sep 2023 17:12install gui install-upgrade-kernel-gtk
It is for installations on internal ssd or hd disk.
run it from terminal sudo install-upgrade-kernel-gtk and upgrade huge again no matter if kernel already installed. In the end it will run grub.
I installed install-upgrade-kernel-gtk and of course it did the same thing as the CLI version. It re-downloaded the kernel, and skipped installing anything, since the system already had the latest kernel. It did update grub in the end without issues.

So the only way to see the problem again is when there is a new kernel to upgrade. The kernel running in 32-bit is huge-smp.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

I write this message from slackel-7.6 32 bit running from a usb stick real installation. I run from a terminal sudo install-upgrade-kernel upgrade huge and everything went fine kernel huge and huge-smp upgraded to 6.1.54 and 6.1.54-smp and update-grub run in the end without problem. Then i checked /boot/grub/grub.cfg and it was updated. This was done just to check the script.

Then i run sudo install-upgrade-kernel-ext-usb-gtk and upgraded both huge and next the generic kernel otherwise i could not boot because slackel is installed to a usb.

So i do not know why this problem with grub happened to your system.

I also upgraded kernel-firmware and all other packages.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

It must be a VM issue then? Since glibc 2.36 I no longer have a real 32-bit Slackel installation (because I can't).
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

It has to be that because packages build using glibc (2.37 is the recent version) cannot run using a previous version. The laptop i had that could not run glibc 2.36 died.
So all slackel packages now build using a real installation 32 and 64bit on usb.
Except libreoffice 7.6.1 always build on salix to run on both salix and slackel. Package build in a previous version of glibc can run on a newest version.
This is what i use now 64GB usb running slackel 7.6 64bit upgraded on latest kernel 6.1.54 and latest packages.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

Update: The problem while upgrading the kernel in 32-bit does not appear anymore, at least since kernel 6.1.55. And was also upgraded to the newer 6.1.57 without any issues. I'm going to assume it was a kernel problem.