Slackel 7.5 review on Linux Format UK - March 2022

Slackel Reviews
Papasot

Re: Slackel 7.5 review on Linux Format UK - March 2022

Post by Papasot »

In general, a decent (short) review, although I would argue about "there is no partitioner however, so you'll need the included Gparted tool". I thought Gparted is a partitioner (among other things) - and a very good one. When distros provide fdisk or cfdisk for partitioning, reviewers complain "there is no graphical partitioner". And when they do provide a graphical partitioner such as Gparted, they complain "there is no partitioner"... Do they really expect re-inventing the wheel and provide a custom, home-made tool for a task that there are several excellent tools already?
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Also Slackel Live Installer is not borrowed from Salix. It is developed in Slackel and used also in Salix for installing live salix isos.
salix repositories are not used because system will break since they follow different trees (current and stable).
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:Also Slackel Live Installer is not borrowed from Salix. It is developed in Slackel and used also in Salix for installing live salix isos.
salix repositories are not used because system will break since they follow different trees (current and stable).
Yes, I actually remember the time Live Installer was introduced in Slackel, and later in Salix. Of course we can't use Salix repos for a reason. It seems reviewers don't do much research...
Nevertheless, I noticed a long time ago executables created by compiling code on Slackel do run on Salix, even if the GCC version is higher in Slackel, and the code includes GCC features that aren't currently available on Salix's GCC. This is probably because of the compiler "decomposing" complex structures to simple ones. However, I wouldn't rely on that.