slackel-control-center

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
djemos
Site Admin

slackel-control-center

Post by djemos »

qcontrolcenter is a useful tool for any Linux distribution, which is ported by me to python3 and pyqt5. It can be used along with slackel-control-center.
slackel-control-center package create all the directory structure used by qcontrolcenter.
to install it type

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i slackel-control-center
qcontrolcenter will also be dowloaded since it is a dependency for slackel-control-center.

users who use slackware current, have to download and install only qControlCenter. And also Python3 and PyQT5 and pyxdg.
Run qcontrolcenter. Read the instructions then create the directory structure to have a nice control center on slackware current.

You can find the source for packages on github:
qControlCenter

slackel-control-center

or on slackel repos:
qControlCenter

slackel-control-center

If only qcontrolcenter is installed without the user to create the base structure directory then this window will show up that will inform the user what has to do.

Screenshots:

Papasot

Re: slackel-control-center

Post by Papasot »

Nice tool, people expect something like that nowadays. For those who don't want to use the command line, it is in Utility -> Dashboard Slackel.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Hi, Papasot.
If the user wants to add more apps in Applications folder for example can copy mozilla-firefox.desktop or mozilla-thunderbird.desktop there.

cp /usr/share/applications/mozilla-firefox.desktop  ~/.qcontrolcenter/Applications/
cp /usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop  ~/.qcontrolcenter/Applications/
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:If the user wants to add more apps in Applications folder for example can copy mozilla-firefox.desktop or mozilla-thunderbird.desktop there
Good to know that. I actually didn't know anything about qcontrolcenter, since I use the command line for configuring the system. However it is convenient to have all configuration applications in one spot, plus users more accustomed to GUIs would expect a control center in the system.
I created a few .desktop files for configuring my own libraries and moved them to ~/.qcontrolcenter/Applications - and it works. Thank you Dimitri!

I think this, together with the fact there is no need to install vital packages separately anymore, makes Slackel less "not for everyone" and more "newbie friendly", although it is still a "power distribution". Nevertheless, whenever I see a vital package is to be upgraded (such as glibc or aaa_base), I still install it first, before installing anything else, and with the old-good sudo slapt-get -i -d <package> and sudo upgradepkg /var/slapt-get/slackware/<dir> method.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

1. The folders Applications,Hardware ,Information,System are already set up. If user wants to create another folder e.g. Multimedia and copy there some .desktop files has also to copy there an icon.png represented the Multimedia folder and create also a folder.ini file with contents:

en=Multimedia
el=Πολυμέσα
can add also other languages as de=blabla etc

So folders will look nice in the left and right dock.

2. spkg use links for files to remove or install. So is fast when remove kernel-source for example but if a link changes in Slackware current then system break like was happened with glibc in the past. Or with kernel-source could not removed. gapan has solved it and upload new spkg but we do not know what will happen if another link changes in Slackware current.
So for Slackware current i use native Slackware apps as installpkg, removepkg, upgradepkg to be sure system will never break.
So i use spkg only to remove the kernel-source and install the new kernel source then.