grub 2.06 and os-prober

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Slackel, here's the place to post them.
djemos
Site Admin

grub 2.06 and os-prober

Post by djemos »

Grub 2.06 no longer automatically find other operating systems installed while generating boot entries even if you have installed os-prober. We have to manually configure the os-prober by adding GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false to /etc/default/grub.
So edit /etc/default/grub find the line #GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true and change it to GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
Papasot

Re: grub 2.06 and os-prober

Post by Papasot »

After upgrading packages, I used Dotnew to update configuration files related to grub (among them, /etc/default/grub). This changed the line

Code: Select all

#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
to

Code: Select all

GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false
So I unless someone has a custom grub configuration, there is no need to manually edit /etc/default/grub; running Dotnew will do the same thing. Maybe that's because djemos changed the line already (given that the grub package ends with "dj")?

Oddly enough, grub loader still says "Grub 2.04" although it is actually 2.06. Other than that, update-grub worked as usual.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: grub 2.06 and os-prober

Post by djemos »

Yes i agree can use dotnew. I have just to mention that users have to be very careful to not update files as /etc/group, /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow etc.

Grub 2.06 cause a real problem on x86 systems making a grub loop reboot so no grub menu appeared and could not boot to system.
I had to recompile grub packages using -Os CFLAGS instead of -O2 to solve the problem.

grub loader says "Grub 2.06" here. I use the rebuilded package.

Debian and ubuntu use 2.04 version of grub.
Even the slackware grub package also has this problem. I did not update grub for long and when i decided to build the 2.06 version problem appeared.
Well i had to be careful for such critical packages before upgrade.