Slackel 7.4 "Openbox"

djemos
Site Admin

Re: Slackel 7.4 "Openbox"

Post by djemos »

default is 10 but you have to run again the command with -w 10 because this is added it to wait-for-root in initrd.
To bypass this run this with -r /dev/sdc1

Code: Select all

export moduleslist="loop:xhci-pci:ohci-pci:ehci-pci:xhci-hcd:uhci-hcd:ehci-hcd:mmc-core:mmc-block:sdhci:sdhci-pci:sdhci-acpi:usb-storage:hid:usbhid:i2c-hid:hid-generic:hid-apple:hid-asus:hid-cherry:hid-logitech:hid-logitech-dj:hid-logitech-hidpp:hid-lenovo:hid-microsoft:hid_multitouch:crc32c-intel:fuse"
sudo mkinitrd -c -f ext4 -u -w 10 -o /boot/initrd-5.10.4.gz -r /dev/sdc1 -k 5.10.4 -m $moduleslist
sudo rm -rf /boot/initrd-name
sudo update-grub
I think usb will boot to desktop now

Examine /boot/grub/grub.cfg on usb and see if there is sdc, hd2, ahci2 If not run the follow commands. Or edit /boot/grub/grub.cfg and change sdb to sdc, hd1 to hd2 ahci1 to ahci2
sudo mkdir /mnt/install
mount your_usb to /mnt/install
su

Code: Select all

sed -i "s/sdb/sdc/g" /mnt/install/boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i "s/hd1/hd2/g" /mnt/install/boot/grub/grub.cfg
sed -i "s/ahci1/ahci2/g" /mnt/install/boot/grub/grub.cfg
then boot with usb to desktop_pc
to go back to boot to laptop
run the above command with -r /dev/sdb1

Of course users can have 3 disks and usb will be the fourth. I cannot cover all situations. I assume that usb is the second disk. :)
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

Indeed, the above worked. But since this desktop is the exception rather than the rule, I turned Grub back to its original state, expecting the system to sdb, as this is the most common case (one disk, not two, and USB is usually seen at /dev/sdb). The desktop already has a hard disk Slackel installation anyway, I was just wondering what's going on. Thank you Dimitri!
gapan

Post by gapan »

Papasot, did you try using the /dev/disk/by-uuid/* symlinks instead of the actual /dev/* nodes? I think it might work on both PCs that way.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

gapan wrote:Papasot, did you try using the /dev/disk/by-uuid/* symlinks instead of the actual /dev/* nodes? I think it might work on both PCs that way.
I was not aware of /dev/disk. The symbolic links look promising to work on any system, even if there is a second hard disk so usb is not on /dev/sdb anymore.
I am about to create another usb installation to test it. Since the usb installation becomes more and more useful (even though literally all my computers have Slackel installed on hard disk), I don't want to mess with it.

The usb installation works so well that justifies an external ssd drive dedicated to it. I will do that soon.