new'kid' here...

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense.
perryV

new'kid' here...

Post by perryV »

Hi there all
I am Perry , I am Greek but I prefer here to speak in English in order to be understood by the slackel community.
new to linux also , the last 15 months to be precise I use linux on my daily drinver and I just found this Greek distro and at the moment I have installed it on my vbox and trying to get used to it.
I must say I really liked it . I never knew much things about its granddaddies to be honest slackware and salix and all this is new to me but very provoking at the same time .
I have various questions and topics which I would like to discuss with you all in the future little by little...
So in anyways I salute you all at the moment !
djemos
Site Admin

Re: new'kid' here...

Post by djemos »

Welcome Perry. If you have any issues, don't hesitate to make a post about them.
perryV

Post by perryV »

Thank you dj
I surely will
The only issue I have encountered is
That I cannot find some apps
In the distros repo to download
And I don't know if I can install them
from the apps websites itself tbh.
Or some other apps I see that
They do actually exist in the repo
Yet they re outdated.
i.e kodi is an old version. Will it be updated somehow?
I can't find also the python 2 IDLE or pycharm , visual studio code.
Thank you
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

for python3 idle, type in lxterminal
idle3
for python2 idle, type
idle
I did not made a new package for kodi, since i can watch movies in firefox on line.
Kodi has a lot of plug-ins which repos to download do not work always. And need time to install all these and i do not like it anymore.
Do not expect to find everything as in debian, ubuntu huge repositories in slackel, slackware. Do not compare it with them. Slackel slackware do not have many apps but have other benefits as stability and speed. If you want to have any app ready for you then use ubuntu. If you want to run in slackel some app do not exist in slackel repos can build it by yourself.
e.g. For pycharm
type

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-src -u
sudo slapt-src -i pycharm
I suggest to read this. https://www.slackbook.org/translations.html and also the slackel startup guide and posts in slackel forums about documentation.