[SOLVED] Unable to use "Exit" menu and mount USB as normal user.

You have a problem with Slackel? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: [SOLVED] Unable to use "Exit" menu and mount USB as normal user.

Post by djemos »

mozjs50 and mozjs60 are quite different packages in name. This is really a problem and mozjs60 cannot be downloaded as an upgrade package.
Even i added it in polkit and mozjs60 will be installed, mozjs50 will continue to exist in the system. So a created a polkit.con file with content mozjs50 which will remove mozjs50 when mozjs60 will be installed. It is not a proper method but i tested and it is working.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

djemos wrote:mozjs52 and mozjs60 are quite different packages in name. This is really a problem and mozjs60 cannot be downloaded as an upgrade package.
Just another reason why maintaining a rolling distribution is a really complicated task, even if it is based on another distribution. I wonder how you manage to do it for so many years now, all alone.

Not only that, but it works! I have Slackel 64-bit installed on a modern laptop and Slackel 32 on a netbook. The laptop works as expected but that's not a surprise - it has lots of RAM and resources in general. It could run Window$ 10 if I wanted - or a bloated distro like Crapbuntu (sic). The netbook, however, is more interesting, since it is really old: It can barely run Window$ XP; and bloated GNU/Linux distributions won't work at all. And yet it runs Slackel perfectly; I don't even need to look for a distribution especially made for old hardware (which usually comes with restrictions and old versions of software). With Slackel, the exact same netbook runs the latest gcc, Emacs, Firefox, gimp, video capturing software, and lots of the latest libraries I need. I use it extensively when I am not at home. So yes, I wonder how you manage to hold a distribution that can transform a 12+ years old machine to a useful computer all alone.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

To maintain a distro, it needs a lot of time and also to always catch any problems and solve them. Because i use slackware as my only operating system to do all my personal work, for school, pay bills, develop slackel, compile,write new software, create, edit photo's, music, video, writing documents in libreoffice etc i can see any problems in the beginning and solve them. Of course there are times once - twice a year when updates happen in slackware and really cause problems, especially in third party packages do not exist in slackware. Then the job needed is huge because i have to recompile or upgrade a big number of packages. If you look at slackel Changelog will see the massive upgrades. But because i upgrade repos after i have solved the problems users do not understand it in most cases of course.
I use current because i want the latest versions of programs as you mention above.
Yes, even if it is based on another distribution has its own personality, in packages, installation, has openbox etc. It is like two cars which have the same engine but they look different.
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

It definitely has its own personality, and the amount of work needed is not easily seen by the final user, who only sees the net result of the hard work behind the scenes.

Χαράς στο κουράγιο σου. :D
Papasot

Post by Papasot »

Update: The same problem appeared on August 1, 2020, and for the same reason. polkit was upgraded from polkit-0.116 to polkit-0.117. The new version requires mozjs68-68.11.0esr, but stapt-get -u does not pull it and keeps the previous version, mozjs60-60.9.0esr. So I am guessing mozjs68-68.11.0esr should be added as a dependency for polkit-0.117.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

This has been done since yesterday. Updating polkit, mozjs68 is pulled as dependency.
Do a slapt-get -u
to check sudo spi --show polkit
Sometimes Sourceforge servers did not update immediately.