Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

Papasot

Re: Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

Post by Papasot »

I am running Slackel Openbox on a 11-years old netbook (not even laptop) for 4 years now, and it just works great. Some heavy applications run a bit slow due to the small RAM, but they still work decently. The fact I can run an up-to-date operating system on THIS machine is amazing. Without Slackel, this tiny computer can run up to Window$ XP (which are not supported) and some GNU/Linux distributions designed for old hardware, but those distros are not up-to-date. As far I know, Slackel is the only way to use a modern operating system on such an old and limited hardware with latest version of software.
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

Post by djemos »

Hi, Papasot. Firefox is a heavy application. Midori is not stable and i just have it for old machines with little memory. You can use qupzilla is on slackel repos, which is also low in resources and stable. In next releases i will drop midori and i will use qupzilla as alternate browser along with firefox.
For email client since Thunderbird is also heavy, can use sylpheed a very good email client which is on slackel repos.

I agree that slackel is stable and can be used as a workable everyday main OS. This is because i use it so i try to keep it stable for my own use.
I also have salix in another partition just for developing or use it to solve user problems announced in salix forums. I can see that some salix applications are getting old since slackware stable is very old now.

A) Also you can look at instonusb gui application i have created using c for installing slackel and salix in a usb stick and also creating the persistent file, so users do not have to type anything using the install_on_usb.sh script.

B) The second gui application also written in c multibootusb is useful to run as many versions of slackel or salix 32 and 64 bit in one usb stick and booting with it to choose from menu the salix, slackel version to boot.

C) The third gui is sli with new features which now is a complete gui installer as others including in other distributions.
I have added in SLI (Slackel Live Installer) the ability of choosing the Language, keyboard and set time for system clock, even set up ntp servers to use.
sli is a front end written in c, gtk+2 and use glade. slackware-live is a bash script which is called from sli to do the installation.
sli code is here
slackware-live code is here
screenshots

All above gui tools can installed using slapt-get/gslapt from slackel repos.

Have a good day.
Dimitris