orca

Here you can post links to your contributed packages.
djemos
Site Admin

orca

Post by djemos »

Orca is a free, open source, flexible, and extensible screen reader that provides access to the graphical desktop via speech and refreshable braille.

Orca works with applications and toolkits that support the Assistive Technology Service Provider Interface (AT-SPI), which is the primary assistive technology infrastructure for Linux and Solaris. Applications and toolkits supporting the AT-SPI include the GNOME Gtk+ toolkit, the Java platform's Swing toolkit, LibreOffice, Gecko, and WebKitGtk. AT-SPI support for the KDE Qt toolkit is being pursued.

Finally i managed to run orca on Slackel 64. I will compile the 32 bit packages later.
You have to download these packages and
install them.

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i orca speech-dispatcher dotconf json-py pyatspi py3gobject py3xdg pyxdg python3
You also pull the upgraded packages pcmanfm libfm libfm-extra which rebuilded to use gtk+3 so desktop icons appeared in desktop.
In any case can install these packages with

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i pcmanfm libfm libfm-extra
Edit you ~/.config/openbox/autostart.sh and add in the end the line

(sleep 1 && [ -x /usr/bin/orca ] && /usr/bin/orca) &
logout and login again.
enjoy orca speaking.

I set up the greek language and it sounds great.

Note: default language for speech-dispatcher is en you can change this by edit the file /etc/speech-dispatcher/clients/orca.conf and change the line DefaultLanguage "en" to DefaultLanguage "el" for example for Greek. Orca is working fine without this file included in /etc/speech-dispatcher/clients/

The source code and SLKBUILDs of the above packages are on
http://www.slackel.gr/repo/source/extra/