Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

djemos
Site Admin

Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

Post by djemos »

Slackel 7.1 Openbox has been released. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix.

Includes the Linux kernel 4.19.12 and latest updates from Slackware's 'Current' tree.

The new version is available in 64-bit builds only.

The 64-bit iso image support booting on UEFI systems.
Iso image is isohybrid
Iso image can be used as installation media.

adwaita-icon-theme and mate-icon-theme-faenza are used now, giving a nice looking desktop.

Live iso
Full multimedia support without having to install multimedia codecs while on live environment. Of course it is suggested to install multimedia codecs to your system after installation.
1. Persistent file encryption has been added after installation on USB.
2. medialabel="USB_LABEL_NAME" parameter added.
Users who use a different program to create the live USB and this name the usb label differently than the default which is "LIVE" and/or also want to have many distributions on usb, can pass the parameter medialabel="YOUR_USB_LABEL_NAME". In this case slackel will be found and can boot.

Slackel 7.1 Openbox includes:
Browsers + internet:
  • Midori-0.5.11
    Mozilla-Firefox-63.0.1 (multilingual edition)
    Pidgin 2.13.0
    Transmission-2.92
    Wicd 1.7.4
Mail Clients:
  • Sylpheed-3.7.0
    Mozilla-Thunderbird-60.4.0 (multilingual edition)
Ftp Clients:
  • Gftp-2.0.19
    Filezilla-3.33.0
Multimedia:
  • SMPlayer-18.10.0 movie player
    MPlayer-20180720
    Exaile-3.4.5
    smtube-18.1.0
    Asunder-2.7 Cd ripper
    Bracero-3.12.2 for writing CD/DVD's
Graphics:
  • Gimp-2.10.8
    Viewnior-1.6
    Mtpaint 3.40
    Scrot-0.8
Office Applications:
  • Abiword 3.0.2
    Gnumeric-1.12.34
    Libreoffice 6.1.3
    Libreoffice-help-el 6.1.0
    Libreoffice-l10n-el 6.1.0 (Packages for the rest languages are on slackel repositories)
    Libreoffice-extension-libregreek 2.0 for spell checking
    Libreoffice-extension-ancient-greek-dictionary 2.1.6 for ancient greek spell checking
Other Applications:
  • Geany 1.33.0
    Leafpad-0.8.18.1
    PCManFm 1.2.5
    Openjre-8u161_b12
    Grub-2.02
    Grub-Scripts-0.0.8
    Fbpanel-6.1
Hard disk installation
The Slackel Live Installer (SLI) supports installation on different filesystems (btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, jfs, reiserfs, xfs). You can use a different partition for /home. You can find and add Windows partitions in grub.cfg. Note that if you use eLilo as your bootloader, you will not be able to boot Windows partitions.

Installation on EFI GPT partitions is also supported for 64bit iso. In this case you have to create a gpt partition table with GParted.
The following partitions should be created:
- the first partition has to be at least 300MB and use the FAT32 filesystem
- the second partition has to be a Linux partition of any type. NOTE: if you choose grub then the partition cannot be in xfs filesystem because system will not boot after installation, as grub does not support xfs properly. If you want to use xfs as your filesystem you must also use the eLilo boot loader.
- you can optionally add a third partition for /home
- and of course a swap partition
- Important! Before proceeding with the installation you must flag the first FAT32 partition as bootable. You can also do this using GParted.
When booting with 64bit iso efi partition is detected and if it is exist it is mounted to /boot/efi. So user can use the guefi graphical tool.

USB Installation (frugal install)
If you want to transfer the iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the respective instructions in this file:
http://www.slackel.gr/isos/slackel-live ... ON_USB.TXT

Persistent file encryption is supported. Running the above script you will be asked if you want to encrypt the persistent file.
Then just boot with persistent option from menus. System will understand that the persistent file is encrypted and ask to type the encrypt passphrase to unlock it.
You can use the persistent file "persistent" for /home encryption. You can use this feature by changing the parameter changes=persistent to home=persistent
You can rename the persistent file "persistent" to "whatever_you_like" and use it by changing the parameter changes=whatever_you_like or home=whatever_you_like
Tip: You can create a persistent file (its name is always persistent). Then rename it to e.g. home
Create again a persistent file for whole system. So you can boot with persistent option from menus to have persistent encryption for whole system or boot by changing the parameter changes=persistent to home=home to have only /home encryption.

Note: Install the iso in the usb without persistent (because it will take a lot of time) Then run again the script to create the persistence file.
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb path_to_iso_image device
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent 64 /dev/sdb
(where device is /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc etc)

(The root password for the live CD is “live”. Standard user login is “one” with password: "one") (no quotation marks).
For installation and for all work required administration privileges the super user "one" with password "one" is used.

Minimum system requirements:
* Pentium 2 or equivalent
* 512 MB (RAM)
* 10 GB HDD

You can download Slackel 7.1 Openbox iso image from the following links, using the Sourceforge servers.

Live iso image: Can be used also to install the system to hard disk.
Slackel64 7.1 "Live Openbox" (64-bit)
(size: 1553MB, md5: 7139dc0377658a9d960f0d417bf85ab9)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke ... o/download
pkglist

Best Wishes For a Happy New Year 2019
Dimitris

Slackel-64-7.1 screenshots

bsd4me

Re: Slackel 7.1 Openbox

Post by bsd4me »

Installed on my Lenovo ideapad 320-15AST.
Did have problems with grub at the end of installation. Let go for over an hour, then booted into another system to get into slackel. Fixed problem.
So far, very very happy with installation. Only one program that I use hasn't been in the repository, so overall, very nice.
Thanks for the new release!
Retired at home in Alaska for now.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Lenovo IdeaPad 320-15AST has a Radeon R2 Graphics. Maybe it was because of this? Usually grub installed with no problems. Did you use a gpt partition table? Do you have create or existed an efi 300 MB fat32 partition and signed bootable? What was the problem? How did you fixed it? This will help in future releases. Which is the program does not exist in the repository?
bsd4me

Post by bsd4me »

Here is most of the information on this laptop from another distro using the inxi program:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: mylap Kernel: 4.18.16-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.2.1 Console: N/A dm: LightDM 
           Distro: Manjaro Linux 
Machine:   Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 80XV v: Lenovo ideapad 320-15AST serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 
           v: Lenovo ideapad 320-15AST serial: <filter> 
           Mobo: LENOVO model: LNVNB161216 v: SDK0J40700WIN serial: <filter> UEFI: LENOVO v: 5PCN20WW date: 01/15/2018 
Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 7.3 Wh condition: 25.1/30.0 Wh (84%) volts: 7.3/7.5 model: SMP L16M2PB1 serial: <filter> 
CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: AMD A6-9220 RADEON R4 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Excavator 
           L1 cache: 160 KiB L2 cache: 1024 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm bogomips: 9986 
           Speed: 1438 MHz min/max: 1300/2500 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1989 2: 1482 
Graphics:  Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Stoney [Radeon R2/R3/R4/R5 Graphics] vendor: Lenovo driver: amdgpu 
           v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.0 chip ID: 1002:98e4 
           Display: server: X.org 1.20.3 driver: amdgpu,ati unloaded: modesetting alternate: fbdev,vesa tty: 168x40 
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root. 
Audio:     Device-1: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:01.1 
           chip ID: 1002:15b3 
           Device-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 15h Audio vendor: Lenovo driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:09.2 chip ID: 1022:157a 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.18.16-1-MANJARO 
Network:   Device-1: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Lenovo driver: ath10k_pci v: kernel 
           port: 2100 bus ID: 01:00.0 chip ID: 168c:0042 
           IF: wlp1s0 state: up mac: <filter> 
           Device-2: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet vendor: Lenovo driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 1000 
           bus ID: 02:00.0 chip ID: 10ec:8136 
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: <filter> 
           Device-3: Qualcomm Atheros type: USB driver: btusb bus ID: 1-1.2:3 chip ID: 0cf3:e500 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 931.51 GiB used: 23.88 GiB (2.6%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM035-1RK172 size: 931.51 GiB speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 47.4 C mobo: N/A gpu: amdgpu temp: 47 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Another distro developer worked with me quite a bit to get linux to work on this machine. It is a real pain, but it's what I have and works pretty good now. What he came up with, after much trial and error is adding the following options to /etc/default/grub:
amdgpu.dc=0 amdgpu.runpm=0 amdgpu.bapm=0 amdgpu.dpm=0 acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor

I booted into another distro, then added these options to slackel file, ran update-grub with that distro so that I could boot into slackel.
With those options installed, slackel would boot, but I had to stop Openbox from starting, so I could log in at console. Before, X would just freeze. I then had to set a password again for root, and then from root, I added myself as user. Root, nor user, was saved during installation.
After all that, I was able to login as myself and run Openbox.

I know that all sounds confusing, but that's because that's just the highlights. I could go into depth, but don't know if there is any interest in every step I had to take :)

Yes, this is efi/gpt. I deleted Windows 10 and been trying different distros to see which works best on it. Right now, I am playing with 5 different distros that are installed. Each has good points and bad points.

Yes, there was already a /boot partition, and Slackel found that no problem :)

Oh, the problem was that at end of installation, it hung during the grub installation. System just sat there with the sli screen showing 100% installed, but the little bar kept moving back and forth showing sli was still busy.

Right now, the one program I am missing is lbdb. I rely on that for email addresses.

I'll be glad to answer, or help, other questions.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Another distro developer worked with me quite a bit to get linux to work on this machine. It is a real pain, but it's what I have and works pretty good now. What he came up with, after much trial and error is adding the following options to /etc/default/grub:
amdgpu.dc=0 amdgpu.runpm=0 amdgpu.bapm=0 amdgpu.dpm=0 acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor
It is really a pain a user to know that has to add all these to grub.cfg.
Oh, the problem was that at end of installation, it hung during the grub installation. System just sat there with the sli screen showing 100% installed, but the little bar kept moving back and forth showing sli was still busy.
If you open a terminal and run from there sudo sh /usr/sbin/sli, (Slackel live installer) then could see the error messages when grub installing to understand what was wrong.But i agree all these problems are specific to that lenovo model. I have a Lenovo g50-80 i3 and my older son has a Lenovo g510 i3. My younger son has a Lenovo idepad 100 i5. None of these had any problem with slackel installation. Usually Lenovo supports linux with no problem in their models. All of them have an intel chipset.
Right now, the one program I am missing is lbdb. I rely on that for email addresses.
I added on repos.

sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i lbdb
If you add in the end of /etc/slapt-get/slapt-srcrc the line

SOURCE=https://www.slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/14.2/
Then with

sudo slapt-src -u
sudo slapt-src -i lbdb
will build from source and install lbdb. Adding this line if does not exist can build slackware packages from slackbuilds.org repository.
bsd4me

Post by bsd4me »

Thank you very much for the help. I had no idea about the slackbuilds repo.

I didn't check to see if sli could be run from console. However, since this is a fresh install, I may try again, just in case anything else was lost when I rebooted because sli couldn't finish. If I do try new install, will add those options when setting language, then see how the installation works :)

I pretty much hate this particular laptop. Wouldn't advise it for anybody. Even the led's are on the side of the machine and a pain to check. I sometimes check the battery and hd activity. Also, some distros have had problems with the audio. The audio output is very weak. Haven't looked into why yet.
bsd4me

Post by bsd4me »

I tried another installation, but it hung at same spot...installing grub.
As you suggested, I tried sli from terminal and got the following:

one[~]$ sudo sh /usr/sbin/sli
Password:
/usr/sbin/sli: /usr/sbin/sli: cannot execute binary file
one[~]$ su -
Password:
root@slackellive:~# sh /usr/sbin/sli
/usr/sbin/sli: /usr/sbin/sli: cannot execute binary file

I assume, because I've had trouble with it before, that the problem is os-prober. Is there a way to disable that during installation, if it does run?
Oh, I used all the options I mentioned above and the live disk boots and runs fine :)
You probably already know what happens, but since installation doesn't complete, the root and user passwords aren't installed and neither is /home/user.

Any ideas what I can try next?
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Sorry. My fault.
run gksu /usr/sbin/sli
But you will not see the problem because of gui front end. I do not think it is worth for spend time for investigate this further since it is specific to this laptop. By the way did you tried to install ubuntu to this laptop ? Since they have support for every laptop, i think.

But for educational purposes, I will write bellow how i used to test the sli (Slackel Live Installer) and script build-slackware-live.sh to see the messages when developing the script and gui installer.

From live environment, run sli or gparted and Create a fat 300 mb in /dev/sda1, mark it bootable with gparted and a second partition in /dev/sda2 ext4 and a third /dev/sda3 for swap.
Then close the sli.
open a terminal and run
su
type live for password
then type
sh /usr/sbin/build-slackware-live.sh --install /live/modules /dev/sda2 rootpass username userpass full grub no ext4

if you create a partition for home in /dev/sda3 then swap will go to /dev/sda4 then

run
sh /usr/sbin/build-slackware-live.sh --install /live/modules /dev/sda2 rootpass username userpass full grub yes ext4 /dev/sda3

full means full installation, grub to install grub boot loader, no, yes to format or not the home partition, ext4 is the filesystem to format the root partition /dev/sda2 is the partition to install the system, /dev/sda3 is the home partition if user create one.
You can change rootpass it is root password with your own
username it is the user name you want to use
userpass it is the user password with your own
Sli gui run this command in the background
So you can see the messages now and what is happening.
If you know c language then look here on line 126 and 131 of the source code of sli. To see how the above parameters passed to script build-slackware-live.sh which is used for doing the installation.
bsd4me

Post by bsd4me »

Thank you for all the info and help. Much appreciated. I believe I have Slackel in a state that I can run it now daily.
Yes, I've tried Ubuntu, but needed newer kernel. I also didn't know about their program UUKU at the time. However, currently I have 3 other distros installed that I am working on that I'm comparing how each one works on this laptop. After all 3 distros (Fedora, Manjaro, LinuxMint) have been upgraded to 4.18 or higher kernels and booted with options I posted earlier, they all see to work about the same. Minor adjustments. Only thing that has surprised me is that LinuxMint does better job at reading and showing available sensors. I use gkrellm and it shows more than all other distros.

Right now, I'm on Slackel and it is performing very well, so may end up being my daily system on this laptop after all.
Thank you!
bsd4me

Re: Slackel 7.1 Openbox 64 bit

Post by bsd4me »

Update:
Finally gave up on the lenovo laptop and slackel :(
However, am installing the i386 onto my HP pc! Will post about that shortly.