Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox"

djemos
Site Admin

Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox"

Post by djemos »

Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox" has been released. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix.

Includes the Linux kernel 4.4.8 and latest updates from Slackware's 'Current' tree. (14.2)
The 64-bit iso supports booting on UEFI systems.
The 32-bit flavor support both i686 PAE SMP and i486, non-PAE capable systems.

Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox" includes the Midori 0.5.11 web browser, Claws-Mail 3.9.2, Transmission 2.84, PCManFm 1.2.1, Pidgin 2.10.11, Gftp 2.0.19, Wicd, Openjre.
Abiword 3.0.1 office application and Gnumeric-1.12.9 are included. Whaawmp is the default movie player, Exaile 3.4.5 is the application to use for managing your music collection, Asunder 2.3 Cd ripper, isomaster, Bracero 3.12.0 for writing CD/DVD's and more.
On slackel repositories can be found Libreoffice 5.0.5.2, Openjdk, smplayer 16.1.0 , kplayer 0.7.2, kaffeine 1.3.1, k3b, mplayer, vlc 2.2.2, gnome-mplayer 1.0.8 , radio tray, mixx, gmpc 11.8.16, mpd 0.19.9, icecast 2.3.2, ices-mp3 0.4, ices-ogg, murmur 1.2.15, mumble 1.2.15, audacity, audacious, kdenlive, wxcam, games as (supertux4, supertux2, frozen bubble, extreme tux racer) educational software as gcompris, tuxtype, tuxpaint and many more. All these can be easily installed using gslapt.

In the graphics section Viewnior 1.3, gimp 2.8.16, mtpaint 3.40 and Scrot the snapshot utility.
On slackel repositories there is inkscape-0.91, shotwell-0.22, mozilla-firefox-45.0.2esr and mozilla-firefox-noesr-45.0.2, mozilla-thunderbird-45.0, google-chrome 50.0.2661.86, skype-nomultilib-4.3.0.37 which run in 64bit without the need of installing multilib, skype-4.3.0.37 for 32 bit and many more.

The Slackel Live Installer (SLI) now support installation on different filesystems (btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, jfs, reiserfs, xfs). Note that cannot use xfs filesystem and grub because after installation system will not boot. So for xfs choose (e)Lilo instead. Both /root and /home partitions (if you create a separate partition for /home and choose to format it) will be formatted on the same filesystem type. A trick can be used, to format /home with gparted on a different filesystem and choose to not format it. So can have /root and /home with different filesystems type.

Installation on EFI GPT partitions is also supported for 64bit iso. In this case you have to create a gpt partition table with gparted and the first partition, the EFI partition, has to be at least 300MB fat32. A second partition with the same size as your system memory for swap and a third one for your linux system. If you want a separate partition for home then create another one. After creation you have to flag the first partition bootable. This make it EFI. (EF00) And then proceed with installation.

If you want to transfer the iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the respective instructions in this file:
http://www.slackel.gr/isos/slackel-live ... ON_USB.TXT

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available.

If you are booting with persistence, the very first time the live system will boot will take a while. This is because the persistence file is created at that point and that is somehow a lengthy process. However, the system will boot much faster at every consecutive boot.
I suggest users to not boot with persistence for the first time.
It is better to use the script to create a persistent file. And in next boot to use persistence.

(The root password for the live CD is “live”. Standard user login is “one” with password: "one")
For installation and for all work required administration privileges the super user "one" with password "one" is used.

Minimum system requirements:
* Pentium 2 or equivalent
* 256 MB (RAM)
* 1.5 GB HDD

Iso images are isohybrid.
You can download all Slackel 6.0.5 "Live" Openbox iso images from the following links, using the Sourceforge servers.

Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox" (32-bit)
(size: 866 MB,md5: f9fae85a064242afee55e542a7b7005c)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke ... o/download

Slackel64 6.0.5 "Live Openbox" (64-bit)
(size:846 MB,md5: e4c915d56434ceb4acbd676d68ae8da0)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke ... o/download
torrent: https://torrent.resonatingmedia.com/tor ... 7d.torrent

This is a video for installing Slackel Live Openbox 64bit on UEFI

This is a video for installing Slackel Live Openbox 64bit on CSM BIOS

This is a video for installing Slackel Live Openbox 32bit on CSM BIOS
ikke

Re: Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox"

Post by ikke »

Thank you for providing this Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox". Nice job. Congratulations!

Did a frugal install. Have been playing with it for a couple of hours now. Up to now everything works as expected.

If you allow me, three questions :
1. is there no cheatcode : 'noauto' . The system tries to mount all available partitions of all available HD and has problems with a Windows partition. Would like to mount partitions myself if necessary. Will use the iso mostly as a liveCD.
2. is the 'rootcopy'-dir still available? Very handy!
3. could you repeat the commandline to make additional modules. (Would like to have additional modules for programs I am using a lot : gvim, mplayer, audacity, ...)

Thank you for kind attention,
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

pondogor wrote:And if you try:
Midori+Claws-Mail=SeaMonkey
seamonkey-project.org wrote:Web-browser, advanced e-mail, newsgroup and feed client, IRC chat, and HTML editing made simple—all your Internet needs in one application.
I prefer Midori and claws-mail since they are small in size. CD/DVD size has to be as small as it can and also to be able to run under systems with small memory.
Of course user after installation in hard disk or in usb + persistent, can install SeaMonkey or whatever program he likes.
For everyday use i prefer Firefox and Thunderbird. It is all a matter of choice.
Thank you for your remarks.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Thank you for providing this Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox". Nice job. Congratulations!

Did a frugal install. Have been playing with it for a couple of hours now. Up to now everything works as expected.

If you allow me, three questions :
1. is there no cheatcode : 'noauto' . The system tries to mount all available partitions of all available HD and has problems with a Windows partition. Would like to mount partitions myself if necessary. Will use the iso mostly as a liveCD.
2. is the 'rootcopy'-dir still available? Very handy!
3. could you repeat the commandline to make additional modules. (Would like to have additional modules for programs I am using a lot : gvim, mplayer, audacity, ...)

Thank you for kind attention,
Thank you for your good words.

1. Under PcmanFM system will mount a partition if you click on it.
About window partition this has to shutdown within windows. e.g. windows 8.1 did not shutdown unless i use a script. If windows are really shutdown then ntfs filesystem is not locked, so linux can mount it.

2. Do you mean optional? If you add a module to module folder then this will be loaded add boot. modules in optional folder are loaded if user wants to.
e.g. include=module1:module2:...": to load selected modules from "/boot/optional" directory (module names are the SquashFS file names)
"exclude=module1:module2:...": to specify the main modules (from "/boot/modules" directory) not to load; example: "exclude=1-gui"
Note that 06-live module has to be loaded last. https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php ... 814#p38814

3. https://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php ... 814#p38814
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for prompt reply.

Further ...
1. small misunderstanding.
Know that pcmanfm allows one to mount / umount any partition.
Slackel 6.0.5 automatically mounts all available partitions / hard disks when booting. My question is : is there any bootcode to prevent this?

2. seems directory 'optional' in combination with "include=" doesn't work. Had to put all the home made modules in the directory 'modules'

Small point : your shortcut key for the file browser points to 'spacefm' and you provide only 'pcmanfm'

Thank you.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

1. you have your partitions in fstab thats why slackel mounts them. I do not mount any other partitions putting them in fstab
So to not automatically mount any partition you dont want
just edit /etc/fstab and replace auto with noauto or add noauto if does not exist
e.g. suppose you have

Code: Select all

/dev/sdax /media/user/label   ext4  defaults       0  0  
change it to

Code: Select all

/dev/sdax /media/user/label   ext4  rw,suid,dev,noexec,noauto,user,async       0  0  
2. I have never tested optional but there is support for this in slackware-live. I have to test this.
3. About shortcut key. Thank you for find it. It will be corrected in next release. Now you can use obkey and replace spacefm with pcmanfm. save the file and your are ok.

Edit: New package with correct sort key upgraded on repos. user-settings-slackel-openbox-14.2-noarch-2dj.txz
In a real or usb+persistent installation
sudo slapt-get -u
sudo slapt-get -i user-settings-slackel-openbox
cp /etc/skel/.confic/openbox/rc.xml ~/.confic/openbox/rc.xml
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for good advice.

Problem of Slackel 6.0.5 automatically mounting all available partitions / hard disks when booting remains.
As I told you I am using Slackel 6.0.5 as a LiveCD. This means that '/etc/fstab' is not avalalble at boot time. I need a bootcode to prevent the system to mount all the partitions.
After booting the livecd-iso /etc/fstab is nearly empty; only three entries : '/proc', '/sysfs' and '/' although all the partitions/hard disks are mounted.

Have a nice evening.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Thank you for prompt reply.
2. seems directory 'optional' in combination with "include=" doesn't work. Had to put all the home made modules in the directory 'modules'
I created a module with using pysolf and tcl, tk dep packages for pysolfc and name it pysolfc.slm
With isomaster i opened the 64 bit iso and added the module into optional folder and save the iso with a differrent name.
1. Boot the iso in vmware with no uefi and hitting tab in the second screen saying slackel i added in the end include=pysolfc.lsm and press enter
cd boot and load pysolfc module.

2.Boot with uefi support. Then type in blue bar at the bottom include=pysolfc.slm

Boot again and pysolfc module loaded at boot time and also i could play the game.

img1
img2
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Thank you for good advice.

Problem of Slackel 6.0.5 automatically mounting all available partitions / hard disks when booting remains.
As I told you I am using Slackel 6.0.5 as a LiveCD. This means that '/etc/fstab' is not available at boot time. I need a bootcode to prevent the system to mount all the partitions.
After booting the livecd-iso /etc/fstab is nearly empty; only three entries : '/proc', '/sysfs' and '/' although all the partitions/hard disks are mounted.

Have a nice evening.
I have slackel-6.0.5 in vmware installed.
I booted with slackel-6.0.5 live iso and typing df -ah the 30GB partition was unmounted.
I open pcmanfm and also 30GB was unmounted. I had to click on it to mount it.
Does not automatically mount partitions here
Or i cannot reproduce the problem here.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Thank you for your comments.

Have no experience with vmware but try to use the iso the normal way as a LiveCD : boot with it. You will see that all the partitions of your computer will be mounted.

Anyway : Slackel 6.0.5 "Live Openbox" is nice!

Thank you.