Slackel 7.0 Live Openbox beta1

djemos
Site Admin

Slackel 7.0 Live Openbox beta1

Post by djemos »

Slackel 7.0 Live Openbox beta1 has been released. Slackel is based on Slackware and Salix.

Includes the Linux kernel 4.4.38 and latest updates from Slackware's 'Current' tree.

The 64-bit iso image support booting on UEFI systems.
The 32-bit iso image support both i686 PAE SMP and i486, non-PAE capable systems.
Iso images are isohybrid
Iso images can be used as installation media.

Full multimedia support without having to install multimedia codecs while on live environment. Of course it is suggested to install multimedia codecs to your system after installation.
Persistent file encryption has been added after installation on USB.

Slackel 7.0 Openbox includes:
Browsers + internet:
  • Midori-0.5.11
    mozilla-firefox-45.8.0esr (multilingual edition)
    Pidgin 2.12.0
    Transmission-2.92
    Wicd 1.7.4
Mail Clients:
  • Sylpheed-3.5.1
    mozilla-thunderbird-45.8.0 (multilingual edition)
Ftp clients:
  • Gftp-2.0.19
    filezilla-3.24.1
Multimedia:
  • Smplayer-17.4.0 movie player
    MPlayer-1.3_20170208
    Exaile-3.4.5 is the application to use for managing your music collection
    Asunder-2.7 Cd ripper
    Bracero-3.12.0 for writing CD/DVD's
Graphics:
  • gimp-2.8.20
    viewnior-1.6
    mtpaint 3.40
    scrot-0.8
Office applications:
  • Abiword 3.0.1
    Gnumeric-1.12.27
    libreoffice 5.2.6
    libreoffice-help-el 5.2.6
    libreoffice-l10n-el 5.2.6 (Packages for the rest languages are on slackel repositories)
    libreoffice-extension-libregreek 1.0 for spell checking
    libreoffice-extension-ancient-greek-dictionary 2.1.5 for ancient greek spell checking
  • geany 1.30.1
    leafpad-0.8.18.1
    PCManFm 1.2.5
    Openjre-8u121_b13
On slackel repositories can be found Openjdk, kplayer 0.7.2, kaffeine 1.3.1, k3b-2.0.3, vlc 2.2.4, gnome-mplayer 1.0.8 , radiotray-0.7.3, mixxx-2.0.0, gmpc 11.8.16, mpd 0.19.18, icecast 2.3.2, ices-mp3 0.4, ices-ogg, murmur 1.2.15, mumble 1.2.15, audacity-2.1.0, audacious-3.7.2, kdenlive-0.9.10, wxcam-1.1, games as (supertux4, supertux2, frozen bubble, extreme tux racer) educational software as gcompris, tuxtype, tuxpaint and many more. All these can be easily installed using gslapt.

Hard disk installation
The Slackel Live Installer (SLI) supports installation on different filesystems (btrfs, ext2, ext3, ext4, jfs, reiserfs, xfs). You can use a different partition for /home. You can find and add Windows partitions in grub.cfg. Note that if you use eLilo as your bootloader, you will not be able to boot Windows partitions.

Installation on EFI GPT partitions is also supported for 64bit iso. In this case you have to create a gpt partition table with gparted.
The following partitions should be created:
- the first partition has to be at least 300MB and use the FAT32 filesystem
- the second partition has to be a Linux partition of any type. NOTE: if you choose grub then the partition cannot be in xfs filesystem because system will not boot after installation, as grub does not support xfs properly. If you want to use xfs as your filesystem you must also use the eLilo boot loader.
- you can optionally add a third partition for /home
- and of course a swap partition
- Important! Before proceeding with the installation you must flag the first FAT32 partition as bootable. You can also do this using GParted.
When booting with 64bit iso efi partition is detected and if it is exist it is mounted to /boot/efi. So user can use the guefi graphical tool.

USB Installation (frugal install)
If you want to transfer the iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the respective instructions in this file:
http://www.slackel.gr/isos/slackel-live ... ON_USB.TXT
What is new
Persistent file encryption is supported. Running the above script you will be asked if you want to encrypt the persistent file.
Then just boot with persistent option from menus. System will understand that the persistent file is encrypted and ask to type the encrypt passphrase to unlock it.
You can use the persistent file "persistent" for /home encryption. You can use this feature by changing the parameter changes=persistent to home=persistent
You can rename the persistent file "persistent" to "whatever_you_like" and use it by changing the parameter changes=whatever_you_like or home=whatever_you_like
Tip: You can create a persistent file (its name is always persistent). Then rename it to e.g. home
Create again a persistent file for whole system. So you can boot with persistent option from menus to have persistent encryption for whole system or boot by changing the parameter changes=persistent to home=home to have only /home encryption.

(The root password for the live CD is “live”. Standard user login is “one” with password: "one") (no quotation marks).
For installation and for all work required administration privileges the super user "one" with password "one" is used.

Minimum system requirements:
* Pentium 2 or equivalent
* 256 MB (RAM)
* 1.5 GB HDD

You can download Slackel 7.0 Live Openbox iso images from the following links, using the Sourceforge servers.

Live iso images: Can be used also to install the system to hard disk.
Slackel 7.0 "Live Openbox" (32-bit)
(size: 1239 MB,md5: 4c016081aa8567582a3c032a99835b1b)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke ... o/download
pkglist

Slackel64 7.0 "Live Openbox" (64-bit)
(size: 1234 MB,md5: def134004bfb402b96f745d43ea4bb2b)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/slacke ... o/download
pkglist
DidierSpaier

Re: Slackel 7.0 Live Openbox beta1

Post by DidierSpaier »

Congrats for this beta Dimitris, it looks great!

Let me add a few pics:

I personally prefer lxpanel and am ready to help you configure it you want ;)
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Hello Didier. Thank you very much. You have done also a great job with slint project and isos.

This is not really a beta. I just name it beta for a while and then i will renamed to 7.0. It is well testing. With installation to usb with persistent encryption.

Lxpanel is on slackel repos. It has a lot of benefits but it is not fully functional without lxsessions and lxde. In this case openbox will become lxde edition.
Openbox is more light than lxde. From tests i have done (maybe i am wrong), a user can easily break lxpanel.

Of cource you are welcome to help to configure it. Also some icons does not appear without lxsessions running. I am open in suggestions. when i run a program it is not appeared in lxpanel. e.g. wicd.
You can install lxpanel from slackel repos and send the .config/lxpanel/ folder.

You can also make a live version of slint using slackel installer and slackware-live tools. Since everything is on slackware and slint repos it is just a matter of time. Scripts will do everything for you. I can tell you how. :)

Well here it is a screenshot of slackel with fbpanel and lxpanel on top, not how i like to be of course.
slackel-lxpanel.jpg
slackel-lxpanel.jpg (166.22 KiB) Viewed 5329 times
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

djemos wrote: Lxpanel is on slackel repos. It has a lot of benefits but it is not fully functional without lxsessions and lxde. In this case openbox will become lxde edition.
Openbox is more light than lxde. From tests i have done (maybe i am wrong), a user can easily break lxpanel.

Of cource you are welcome to help to configure it. Also some icons does not appear without lxsessions running. I am open in suggestions. when i run a program it is not appeared in lxpanel. e.g. wicd.
You can install lxpanel from slackel repos and send the .config/lxpanel/ folder.
Yes, I think that a Slackel-lxde edition would be nice to have. I can contribute to that as I have built the most recent versions of the lxde for Slint-next. What's nice with lxde is that you can easily change the window manager. openbox is the default, but I have buit a lxde+fvwm desktop for Slint-next
djemos wrote: You can also make a live version of slint using slackel installer and slackware-live tools. Since everything is on slackware and slint repos it is just a matter of time. Scripts will do everything for you. I can tell you how. :)
I would be grateful for that help, as I am seriously considering providing a Slint live for several reasons:
  • It helps users check their hardware's compatibility before installing.
  • Users increasingly expect this feature so they can see how the system looks before installing.
  • This would help bring Slint to people speaking CJK and bidirectional (Arabic, Persian etc.) languages, which is difficult with a text installer.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

This would help bring Slint to people speaking CJK and bidirectional (Arabic, Persian etc.) languages, which is difficult with a text installer.
I found these recent posts in google.
https://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E ... 2/slackel/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjy-Kjv9Vwo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB_eKqyQUDA

slackel-live-installer on transifex
slint-live-installer on transifex