Review on Distrowatch: Slackel 7.0 "Live Openbox"

Slackel Reviews
DidierSpaier

Review on Distrowatch: Slackel 7.0 "Live Openbox"

Post by DidierSpaier »

Slackel 7.0 "Live Openbox"has been reviewed on Distrowatch today.

I hope this will attract more users, as Slackel deserves to be better known !
djemos
Site Admin

Re: Review on Distrowatch: Slackel 7.0 "Live Openbox"

Post by djemos »

I have already seen the review. As i read in user comments, someone says there is a lxpanel at the bottom of the screen. Where he saw the lxpanel at the bottom of the screen. Obviously he did not know that it is fbpanel. Or this is a lxde desktop, why they call it openbox. Because has 3-4 lxde packages this made it lxde? Of course not. It is an openbox desktop.
Also about the usb 64bit installation when usb is formatted in ext3 which means 2 partitons an sdb1 efi and a sdb2 partition will be created efi partition was 32mb but because of bigger initrd + efi.img now need more than 32 mb thats why the message no space left on device. I have edited the install_on_usb.sh script and made the efi 300mb of size so installation is OK.
For vfat there was no problem since usb was formatted to vfat in one partition. So a bag has found and corrected.
I also updated the install_on_usb script in github as well the slackware-live for slackel, salix and slint which is used from gui installer to instal to usb if user choose ext3 filesystem.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Listen the podcast interview about Slackel. on Distrowatch Weekly, Issue 716, 12 June 2017
The mp3 file is here
The ogg file is here
and also here and here
Interview is starting at 29:45 position.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

I have listened the interview and found it very interesting. I learned a lot of things about Slackel I didn't know, so thanks for sharing.

This leads to some suggestions:
  • Provide some of the information you gave in the interview in written, like e.g. the history of Slackel, something like an expanded "about Slackel". You could do that for instance using the wiki feature of sourceforge. This could also help newcomers grasp what they can expect from Slackel, and what are its distinctive features.
  • In the wiki or in the forum, state the kind of help you would welcome, like art work, translations, etc.
Keep up the good work!
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

Thank you Didier.
Thank you also for the useful suggestions.
djemos
Site Admin

Post by djemos »

To solve the Installation in a ext3 USB formatted stick bug.
Read this