slapt-get rebuild

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Slackel, here's the place to post them.
juliusse

slapt-get rebuild

Post by juliusse »

Hello,
I don't know if it is the right place to post this, feel free to move it if you think it's not.
After reading this post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=548
I've noticed that Djemos said that he has rebuild slapt-get to use installpkg, upgradepkg and removepkg instead of spkg.
So I decided to make a test on a VM (in Virtualbox) which was running 4.19.16 kernel.
As upgradepkg is preinstalling packages, just for the test, i ran what I call a "brutal" upgrade, in an "idiot" way (for the purpose of the test)to reach current(aka 4.19.18).
I did like that: (as root)

Code: Select all

#slapt-get -u
#slapt-get -i slapt-get
#slapt-get --upgrade --simulate
#slapt-get -i aaa_base glibc glibc-i18n glibc-zoneinfo glibc-profile
#slapt-get --upgrade
#slapt-get -i kernel-firmware kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-source
#update-grub
The upgrade went very well, slapt-get worked the expected way, preinstalling packages before installing them.
As expected of course, the only noticeable change is the more "verbosing" process, and the fact that it took more time, especially when upgrading the kernel-source package.
For me, the fact that the upgrade process is now more "idiotproof" (and yes, i'm in this category...), justifies the slapt-get change.
Of course, on Salix, this would not be relevant as it is a stable version, but on a current version like Slackel, this "securises" the upgrade process(IMHO of course)
Thanks.
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"
djemos
Site Admin

Re: slapt-get rebuild

Post by djemos »

As you can see in previous posts in the forum i had problem upgrading aaa_base with slapt-get using spkg. It was making the system problematic because /bin/sh it is link to /bin/bash and was deleting and system was unusable. So user had to reinstalling it using /bin/bash upgradepkg. It is good news that aaa_base was updated without problem with slapt-get using installpkg, upgradepkg. I agree that stability is more important than speed in a "rolling" distro.

juliusse, thank you for your time to test it.
You are welcome to do whatever you think will help slackel become better. Make tests in the upcoming releases or build packages, create new wallpapers, better logo σ etc

Now, 32bit slackel repos are in sync with 64bit in programs and i will make a slackel 7.1 live iso for 32bit because there are users with old computers which use 32 bit version so these computers are usable.
Thanks again.
juliusse

Re: slapt-get rebuild

Post by juliusse »

Hi, no problem!
Just to be sure with the aaa_base "issue", I just test this morning a

Code: Select all

#slapt-get -i --reinstall aaa_base
, and everything went fine, as expected. But I had no doubt that it would work perfectly.
I also think that stability is more important than speed in a rolling distro.(take a look at what happened to manjaro "stable" last week).
And good news about the 32bit iso, you're right, 32bit machines are still used, particularly among Slackware/Slackel/BSD/... users. And unfortunately, a lot of distros are abandoning support for this architecture.
Have a nice day.
Ubuntu is an African term for:"Slackware is too difficult for me"